• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One of my Ranchus is sick =(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The aquaclear is a good filter. I wouldn't change...

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
I like the filter a lot but the breeder says power filters stress ranchus and to switch to the sponge. I don't know what to do about that. The sponge filter was only $11. I did have the aquaclear and a tetra whisper running since these guys are so messy. But I took off the whisper today since she was worried it was making too much of a current. I don't think the aquaclear is making a big current, could it hurt to just run both aquaclear and sponge?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would stick with the aquaclear and an air pump with an airstone. You can also add an airstone to the sponge filter and run it along with the aquaclear as well. The aquaclear and the sponge filter on an air pump are both adjustable. Do you have any decor in the tank to give some place for the fish to destress? How long are you leaving the lights on?

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
I have a large terra cotta pot in the back with lucky bamboo in it (the bamboo is held in with rocks) the sick fish in hanging out behind this pot. I have a smaller terra cotta pot in the front. Light goes on 5pm and goes off at midnight. I have like 7 river rocks on the bottom for decoration (bare bottom tank). Do I need to add something for them to hide inside or behind?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Keep an eye on the lucky bamboo. Make sure it does not rot. Lucky bamboo is not an aquatic plant. Some more plants might help, but go with artificial if you don't have the correct lighting. Anubias does well with goldies, and can be grown with low lighting.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How is the little ranchu doing? Did you join Koko's and ask your questions there? Did you do a water change and get the ammonia and nitrites down? Get the bottle of prime?

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
My little guy is doing a lot better. His tail is back to normal color, he is less chubby (guess he had a bit of bloat), and the red part at the base of his tail is slowly turning back to orange. He is still resting a bit but is a lot more active than day 1. I got the bottle of prime and did the water change. Yesterday was his last day of the sulfa meds and tonight I'm supposed to do a 25% water change and put a new charcoal pad thing back in the filter (no charcoal was in during the 3 days of medicine). I was testing the water with strips which I researched and found to be no good, so last night I bought an API master test kit. I am going to test the water tomorrow (give the 25% water change and filter a little time). I've been poking around on Kokos, reading, I'll have to make a post. Today I used my last test strip and still have a zero nitrate reading. I will cont to do water changes every other day with the seachem prime and then test until I do have a nitrate reading. Or should I do a 25% change with prime daily? I can do either, I am pretty attached to these ranchus. I am getting the UV Sterilizer next month, Cynthia said this would be a good thing to have.

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
Today there is not a spot of red anywhere on his body, the base of the tail is normal and orange, no streaks on the tails fins themselves. He is 100% normal :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
:yah: Glad he's all better now.

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
Thank you! :hug8:I am amazed, I've never give medicine to a fish and I was doubtful it would work, but it did exactly what his breeder said it would do :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is great news!

Dana Lee

Real Name