• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One grape can kill your cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I think we all know that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs, and I had assumed the same was true of cats.

This weekend I learned that as little as one grape can kill your cat. (Not through personal experience - a friend's cat ate a grape. She looked it up on the internet and was shocked to find that just one grape can kill a cat. Two emergency vets and her regular vet confirmed it.)

Grapes can cause kidney failure in cats. The exact amount of grapes that need to be ingested before they are fatal probably varies from cat to cat, but cats have died from eating just one.

The protocol is to get the cat to vomit immediately, but since it's difficult to induce vomiting in cats, charcoal is often used. Then the cat has to be put on IV for 72 hours to flush the system. This is the recommended protocol for all cats who ingest even one grape, because if you wait in the hope that you cat will not be affected, it will be too late. Without treatment, kidney failure can manifest itself within 72 hours or as long as two weeks after ingestion of the grape.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I did not know that about cats or dogs.... I need to make sure raisins are not in bird mixes because my dogs love to hoover the floor under the birds. Macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow, that's crazy! Thank you for the information and reminder. I think grapes and raisins are permanently off the menu here, it’s just not worth the risk.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the info Heidrun.....very good to know.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Scary. How did I not know this?

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Didnt know that about cats. I knew about the dogs. I actually think that Merlin fed Dawg a grape & it killed her. Her health wasnt good & made her vunerable.:(

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Wow, I had no idea about either! Scary

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
The ASPCA poison control center figured out about grape and raisin toxicity to dogs less than two decades ago, Brigid, so I suspect you are far from the only dog owner who isn't aware of it. I was shocked at how little grape toxin can kill a cat.

There's more known about the amounts of grapes or raisins per pound of dog before serious/fatal poisoning occurs - the information with respect to cats is less complete. Cats are of course much more susceptible to toxins than dogs are, and since some cats are known to have died from just one grape, vets treat this very aggressively in cats.

Nikki, I wasn't aware of the toxicity of macademia nuts to dogs. Thanks for the heads up!

Yes, the problem in a multi species household is the tendency of parrots to fling food.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That is why I do not feed grapes, raisins or macadamia nuts to my birds. I even toss the carob coated raisins in the BH mix from Kathie's store.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Just in case some of you aren't aware - the sweetener that is used in sugar free gum, sugar free candies, some throat lozenges, sugar free baked goods, etc., is highly toxic to dogs (and presumably to cats also). More info here: snopes.com: Xylitol Deadly to Dogs

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I did not know that either! :eek: Thanks for sharing, Heidrun.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Just to be clear, as few as 2-3 grapes could cause kidney failure in even large dogs as well... the toxicity in grapes isn't well understood, it can vary between grapes in a single bunch too.

This is a good warning though! I recently had to take my two in for a full chemistry panel when they got into Josie's dry mix :(

Krissa

Sprinting down the street
My vet has a huge poster about the gum and grapes on the wall of her office. I only give Loki grapes when he is in his room and then find all the pieces he throws. Luckily he seems to like oranges as much as grapes so I'll give him oranges.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Good warning. I am always super cautious about grapes around here. When I first brought CoCo home, my big doggy, I didn't know grapes or raisins were toxic and I fed her raisins all the time. Ugh, scary! SO thankful nothing happened to her.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you for the heads up/warning, I didn’t know this. :eek:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
My Dad use to give our dog grapes all the time. But this was years ago before we know about them being bad. Luckily, nothing ever happened to her. But knowing what we know now, we would have never given them to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.