• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Once feral, now (mostly) domestic

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
In my house, we have a pretty tortishell kitty. She technically belongs to my mother, who got her a few months after the old torti, named Fish, passed away (after nearly 20 years of being with her).

She's so energetic, and curious. My mother drove all the way up into the state above us to get her from a lady who found her and her siblings on her farm(?) - the mother had been dumped there and gave birth. Unfortunately, coyotes got the mom, but our kitty and her several orange tabby brothers were all captured and cared for and given to good homes.

Of course, having been born to a feral mother and in a feral environment, Boo (our cat) isn't always super friendly. It took a while before she stopped trying to sneak up on the bird cage, and she still tries to hunt/play with the older female orange tabby. All in all though, for a cat who started feral, she's fairly adjusted to domestic life and gets to go on walks on leash and harness every so often to get outside.

Have you guys ever owned a feral cat and tamed them? Befriended a feral cat outside?

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My current kitten came from a stray female cat that took up on my mother's porch. Her being gentle around my birds is about as likely as Michigan being 90 degrees Fahrenheit in winter. My mother has a way with stray or feral cats and can often rehome or at least trap and neuter them. How she does it, I can't fathom.

My kitten didn't find a home when we were looking for adopters and as time went by I got attached to her. She's high energy and would likely frighten kids who wanted a cute, cuddly kitten. The few hrs I can get her to sleep are great, the rest of it I feel like hiding under the covers and refusing to come out.
:lol:
We were able to get our hands on taming the kittens once their eyes were open and were moving around easily. I think that helped with litter training her and etc.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
You have a very nice mother!!
I have a couple of friends who own feral cats and got them when they were young adults. They are nice indoor cats. Probably more guarded than your average cat but wonderful pets!!
We have a few details in the neighborhood. I trap them, have them fixed, flea dipped, shots, their ears tipped and release them.
:)

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
Our little kitty was so shy and reclusive at first, but she warmed up to me a little bit because I was the first to see her every morning. She had to stay in the little kennel overnight (but she was still small so she wasn't cramped) and we'd put her on the harness and leash tethered to the dinner table so she could be out without causing trouble. I'd get up for school and let her out to eat, potty, and play for a little bit before I had to leave for the bus stop.

My family got to her by sharing meat with her and safe snacks, I just couldn't stand to see her awake and so nervous wanting out of that kennel every morning when it'd be a few more hours before mom would be up to let her out, so she'd get about an hour of time out with me (I would wake up extra early to get online or talk to my bird).

All the cats in our neighborhood are owned by somebody, because ferals wouldn't last long - we've got coyotes who aren't even afraid of people anymore :c the neighborhood is trying to figure out a humane, safe way to get them to be more afraid (not for the sake of torment but for everyone's safety and their pets and children) or get them to move out of the area. Most of the cats left are staying really close to home and going home overnight now, thankfully.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's interesting that you posted this because I'm currently dealing with my first feral cat situation. A mother cat and her two kittens have taken up residence in my yard. Well, at least 2-3 days a week they do. I think the mother is a little nomad and moves around but she always comes back. I think she actually did belong to someone at some point. She seems skittish but I don't think I'd call her "feral", although I haven't been able to actually pet her yet. I think unfortunately unless I can get to the kittens soon they will be completely feral. I started feeding them because it was clear that the poor momma cat was starving. You would think because I'm feeding her she would stick around but as I said, she really doesn't. I don't see her or the kittens for days at a time and then they come back. I've gone on different animal shelter websites and other than the trap, neuter and release programs they don't really offer much other advise. I'm not really sure what's the best thing to do to help them.....

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
It's interesting that you posted this because I'm currently dealing with my first feral cat situation. A mother cat and her two kittens have taken up residence in my yard. Well, at least 2-3 days a week they do. I think the mother is a little nomad and moves around but she always comes back. I think she actually did belong to someone at some point. She seems skittish but I don't think I'd call her "feral", although I haven't been able to actually pet her yet. I think unfortunately unless I can get to the kittens soon they will be completely feral. I started feeding them because it was clear that the poor momma cat was starving. You would think because I'm feeding her she would stick around but as I said, she really doesn't. I don't see her or the kittens for days at a time and then they come back. I've gone on different animal shelter websites and other than the trap, neuter and release programs they don't really offer much other advise. I'm not really sure what's the best thing to do to help them.....
Well, I'm not an expert on cats, but I think ideally for their safety, if you took them in and got them to a vet and adopted them, they would no longer be fending for themselves and potentially getting into fights with other cats or run-ins with wild animals or dangers like vehicles. If the mother was owned at some point, then you may be able to lure her in. If you can get ahold of the kittens especially, mother will follow (such as if you put them in a kitty kennel just inside your door, to lure the mother into the house and close the door behind her, you could eventually calm her down and after food and water and her kittens are provided, she may start to adjust). At the very least, getting them their vaccinations and have them spayed/neutered would be good to help with their health and prevent further wild kittens if you did end up releasing them. They might be able to adjust to house life, they might not. It really depends on the cats I think.
I think one of the bigger domestic issues is that you'd have to keep the bird in a room away from them, because if they're about guaranteed to try to mess with it or catch it if they get the chance. As much as you want to help them, you have to remember your own bird's safety as well as your own (they could be carrying a disease, you wouldn't know until you got them to a vet) - I know that my mother has a health plan for her cat, since she started her on it as a kitten it's cheaper - she goes to banfield (there's an office in our local petsmart) and they took good care of the cat and helped get her all healthy and whatnot. Even if they don't end up being house pets, getting them proper vet attention would be the best thing I can think of that you could do for them. Who knows, maybe they'd end up being happy outdoor cats and would know they could come home to you for food and water and affection, and they'd be healthy under your care. With a collar and a bell of some sort, they'd not be hunting very successfully outside (which would keep them healthier, they could get sick from something they caught) and that would encourage them to come home more frequently.

I wish you the best of luck in helping these cats! if the mother was a house cat at some point in her life, she might recognize the smell of treats, and that might also help lure her in and see you as a friendly person.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks. I'm allergic to cats. So unfortunately taking them inside the house isn't an option. Plus, my spoiled Sunny bird has run of the house so having indoor cats really wouldn't be doable. Not to mention my fiancé would not be overly happy about it.... I've thought about trapping the mom and taking her to at least get vaccinated and neutered but I think I have to wait until the kittens are old enough to fend for themselves. The one kitten is extremely fearful and takes off as soon as she sees me. So I'm not optimistic that I could trap all three at once and wouldn't want to separate the mom from the kittens at this point. My dad used to have a farm but sold it not that long ago. I wish he still did as I would take them there. They could have lived happily as barn cats and my dad would have fed them, etc. I'll just keep trying to work on the mother. She is a very pretty little cat and I could see someone wanting to adopt her- just not me, unfortunately.

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
Thanks. I'm allergic to cats. So unfortunately taking them inside the house isn't an option. Plus, my spoiled Sunny bird has run of the house so having indoor cats really wouldn't be doable. Not to mention my fiancé would not be overly happy about it.... I've thought about trapping the mom and taking her to at least get vaccinated and neutered but I think I have to wait until the kittens are old enough to fend for themselves. The one kitten is extremely fearful and takes off as soon as she sees me. So I'm not optimistic that I could trap all three at once and wouldn't want to separate the mom from the kittens at this point. My dad used to have a farm but sold it not that long ago. I wish he still did as I would take them there. They could have lived happily as barn cats and my dad would have fed them, etc. I'll just keep trying to work on the mother. She is a very pretty little cat and I could see someone wanting to adopt her- just not me, unfortunately.
You could try finding someone here that would want them - you never know! They sound like they'd make very nice outdoor cats who just come in overnight or during bad weather, and would be very happy with the freedom. I'd also look around the neighborhood, maybe someone you live near would take them in.