1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

On wait list, have questions!

Discussion in 'Linnie Landing' started by Kalakins, 3/4/19.

1. Kalakins

Kalakins Moving in

Hi everyone!

So, I don't have a linnie yet. But I am on a wait list for one! I found a small home breeder that hand raises linnies, and after speaking to her, I feel she may be a great place to get my bird from. She was able to answer a lot of my questions, but I know there is so much more I would like to know, and thought that this might be the right place to come.

First thing's first - I live in an apartment building. Asides from all the other reasons I'm interested in bringing a linnie home, their quieter nature seems more suitable to my situation. That being said, I've been reading posts here, and see that a lot of people say that singleton birds tend to be a a little more "outspoken". How loud can they get? If I go out, is it likely that a single bird might call out constantly until I come home? (etc)

Some of the reasons I only want one bird are pretty straight forward - two birds, twice the mess, twice the costs (vet care, supplies, initial purchase price)... and I want to be sure that I can keep up while providing the best care possible. I also want to make sure that I have the chance to bond with my bird, and am not sure if having two might interfere with that(?). The fact that wanting two would probably increase my waiting list time significantly, also plays a part in the decision too.

Another thing I've been wondering - I have a large flight cage that I have plans to set up with different perches, toys, etc for in cage time... but wanted to know, how much out of cage time my bird would need (for play and interacting with me) in addition to having time a nice roomy cage?

Also, can anyone offer up some suggestions on how to teach my linnie when out of cage playtime is, and how to accept when it is over (which means having to return to his or her cage). I have a dog, so I would have to make sure they aren't out at the same time. This would mean bringing my linnie to another room to play.

Last but not least (and this might sound silly), but does anyone here suggest a separate "sleep cage" for their linnies? I've heard of people doing this, to help wind their birds down for the night. I also figured that getting my linnie used to sleeping in another smaller cage would give me time to fiddle around with cleaning the flight cage without bothering them (I know that even hand tamed linnies can be hand shy, or go through hormonal / territorial phases).

Sorry this post is so lengthy - I figured it's best for me to learn as much as I can, before bringing home my baby! :p

Thanks everyone!

pawfectly, Sylvester and Imogena like this.
  2. Dona

Dona Rollerblading along the road

Dona
    Hello!

You will see dozens of my posts about my lovely little girl, Gigi. I am a huge linnie cheerleader. What a great species. She was hand fed and turned one on 2/1. I couldn't be happier with having her as a part of our family.

She is very quiet. She makes lots of different kinds of noises, trick whistles, contact calls, lasers, buzzes, squeaks, and little chortles. It's precious, but all of them are low. Sometimes many hours go by and she makes no noise at all. I live in a condo and my neighbors say they cannot hear her. I would think that she would be louder if encouraged by another bird but I'm not sure. I would also assume she would do lots of contact calls if her buddy was in another room. She does contact calls to me when I open the bathroom room after my morning shower. But it's just a few, I often say hello down the hall, and that's it.

I chose to have just one bird but I agonized as her sister was available at the same time. Maybe it would have been likely that they would have gotten along and shared a cage, but I don't know for sure. Like you, I wanted to bond with her and thought it would work out better one on one. My husband and I are retired and we have lots of time for her. Our little grandchildren are here often and she likes that too. And you are right, 2 birds could mean 2 cages, more vet bills and more mess. Now that she has been with us for the year I'm glad I didn't bring home 2. It's just going so well. She is thriving.

I bring Gigi and her cage into our living room from at least 12-7 each day. I open the cage door and she flies to her play gym, me, the sofa, the chairs, and so forth. Twice a week I give her a spray shower. Linnies usually love that. At the end of out time, I take her with me to the kitchen and we get 2 Nutri-berries. I put them in her cage and she hops in. I've never had any trouble getting to go back in. She has a great step up on to her cage door. If I bring her there, she always hops on. I do not have a sleep cage. When I first got Gigi I started with a smaller cage. She was pretty clumsy and I'm glad it wasn't so far to fall. I replaced her cage with a big flight cage when she was maybe 7 months old. Her current cage has food and water access from the outside and that's good. She doesn't like my hands in her cage. I service her cage when she's on the play gym each day and she ticks at me as a warning. She is the dearest thing, so sweet, gentle and funny but occasionally she will get mad if I touch something that belongs to her and her squeal is scary and hilarious. Just enough of the big parrot sass to keep things interesting. :)

I can't wait to hear what you decide! Good luck!

upload_2019-3-4_18-9-2.jpeg

katebf38, tka, Fia Baby and 2 others like this.
  3. Kalakins

Kalakins Moving in

Dona,
    Thank-you so much for the reply. Gigi is absolutely adorable! And she sounds like a lot of fun with her array of sounds lol. Did you teach her to make some of those sounds, or did she just pick them up from hearing them in her environment?

Out of curiosity, when you bring her out in to the living room, just she fly around and explore for the full 7 hours? I know I wouldn't be able to do that, simply because of the dog, although my linnie would definitely get a few hours of out of cage time. Speaking of which, I'm now wondering if my flight cage might be too big to start with (although from what I can tell, the birds are housed in large flight cages at the breeders).

Does Gigi have favorite toys? What is her play stand like?
    I'm really lucky in the sense that we have a parrot shop near by, that sells a lot of supplies. The store is fairly small, but I know there is a lot they can order in. I just have to stop myself from going there until I actually expect my linnie, or else I'll have a stash of fun stuff, and no bird to enjoy it lol (my dog has more toys than most children, and yet she would rather steal dish towels and paper towels for entertainment!).

I was also wondering what you feed her? I know some of the basics, and even found recipes, but was wondering if most people have set times for things like fresh foods (as in giving in the AM and removing a few hours later so that things stay fresh, etc).

Anyways, right now, the plan is still to just get one. I could always revisit the idea of two down the road. But I'm glad to hear things can go well without having multiple linnies!

Dona and Imogena like this.
  4. Dona

Dona Rollerblading along the road

Dona
    Hi!

Aww thanks, she's a little gem. I taught Gigi a wolf whistle, come here whistle, quick kiss, juicy kiss and a eerie little tune that is the beginning of A Fist Full of Dollars, just 5 syllables and she mixes them up for fun. Otherwise she just does lots of cute noises that don't seem to be from her environment. I especially like her laser sounds.

No, she isn't out 7 hours, I open the cage door and depending on my schedule, she is out and about for maybe 2 -3 hours each day. She flies back into her cage off and on to eat or poop. She was a clipped baby so her flight feathers have returned in the last 3 months or so. She practices flying but stays close. It's not like she is buzzing all around the house. I put a sheer curtain on a tension rod in between the living room and the kitchen to keep her contained.

I did like Gigi's original smaller cage for her as a baby. When I bought it I thought it was big enough for life, but later knew it really wasn't. However it worked out well for then. I kept it to use if we travel. I love her current cage from King's. It has all horizontal bars and food access from outside. And it's a pretty cream that looks great in the room.

I bought 2 stands from @Matto that have worked out so well. I now cover the side of one the gyms with a baby blanket and she goes in there when she first flies out. I hear her chortling and chirping and the fabric is swinging. Linnies like to burrow and I guess that's why she likes it. If you go to Matto's site, A Parrot Should Play, watch the scrolling pics and you will see Gigi sleeping on her double play gym. :) She's a star! I also bought his Mover that use in the bathroom when I give her a spray bath. She likes a variety of toys but especially anything made of sola wood because she can destroy it. She also likes bells. I rotate her toys. She used to be timid about them but now accepts most anything with interest.

Gigi was weaned on to Roudybush and continues to happily eat the Crumble size. They are available 24/7. When I wake her I give her soft cooked food too, she likes peas, corn and carrots the most. I take the rest out late morning. In the afternoon I give her 2 Nutri-berries. That's when I've just cleaned her cage so I leave the grate out so if the NBs fall, she can go down and get them. You should have heard those sad chortles in the beginning when the NBs fell through and she couldn't get them again. :)

OK, I think I answered your questions. Again, good luck! Oh! What color are you thinking you might want? I've written this story on here, but I originally had my deposit on a Lutino. On pick up day my breeder told me that the normal green was available too since the deposit fell through. I had 2 yellows and 2 green to choose from and picked Gigi. My first parrot was an Amazon and I've always loved green parrots.

Last edited: 3/6/19
    Kalakins and Imogena like this.
  5. Imogena

Imogena Sprinting down the street

Joanna
    @Dona Gigi is absolutely stunning. All of those shades of green on her feathers are amazingly beautiful. And I can see from the picture that her feathers are in excellent condition as well.

Dona likes this.
  6. Kalakins

Kalakins Moving in

@Dona Ooh, a Kings cage, what a lucky little bird! Mine isn't quite as fancy (PH f040), but it does have quite a bit of space. Unfortunately the bars are vertical, but I'm hoping that if I provide enough perches and other things to climb on, that won't matter.

From what I know, the breeder prefers to do a very mild baby clip to the birds wings - not so much as to prevent them from being able to fly and make a landing, but just enough to prevent any serious accidents like flying full force into a wall, etc. I know there is a lot of debate about wing trimming, but I don't mind the idea, at least while the bird is adjusting to being in a new home. As long as it's not an aggressive clip (I've heard stories). I suppose when the time comes closer, I'll ask the breeder if she feels my cage is too tall for a young linnie, and can easily order a shorter one in. I might even be able to half this flight cage and directly connect the top half to the stand - it should work.

Those are some pretty nice play stands BTW. Something to keep in mind for sure!

As for the colour I want, I wasn't terribly specific, but did say that I really loved the turquoise (marines), but would also accept a cobalt or bright green. I just said that mauve/slate probably isn't a good choice here, not because I don't think they are beautiful, but because everything here is very neutral and grey. I'd loose my bird! lol . She said that the marines and cobalts are pretty common for her flock, and also a variety of greens (bright or olive). Fewer lutinos and creminos (which I imagine a lot of people want), and even less common, mauves. So I guess that works out for me. I didn't specify gender, because I don't really think it matters. My main goal is getting a bird that is best suited to me (I mentioned I was new to linnies), and I'll have to trust the breeders judgement. She really does sound like she does this for the love of the birds - and after our conversation, I really feel like whatever linnie I bring home, I'll be happy having waited for the right one. :)

Dona likes this.
  7. Kalakins

Kalakins Moving in

Isn't she? She looks like she is being well cared for, that's for sure :D

Dona likes this.
  8. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    @Dona we need pictures of Gigi's butt dots!:) She's adorable!

Dona likes this.
  9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Linnies are a species of bird that really need to have another linnie as a friend. They do much better that way and are happier. Don't you want your bird to be happy?

Sylvester likes this.
  10. Kalakins

Kalakins Moving in

No offense, and I'm not trying to start anything, but that comes across as snarky. It's one thing to say that you feel they are happier in pairs or a flock, and even explain why (or share your experience). That might have given something to take into consideration. But phasing it in a way that makes it look like like I'm not interested in the happiness of my future bird, or suggesting that the one person who has shared her experience with a solo linnie isn't thinking of its best interests... it's a bit disrespectful.

Sorry everyone, this kind of response just rubs me the wrong way.

@Dona I appreciate you answering my questions and sharing your experience with Gigi with me. If there's anyone else around that has linnies (one or more!) that can give me an inside look at keeping and caring for them, I'd be happy to hear from you!

Dona likes this.
  11. Sylvester

Sylvester Rollerblading along the road

I agree, LJ, with that assessment. I think most birds are not the loner type.

Lady Jane likes this.
  12. Kalakins

Kalakins Moving in

It's not the assessment I was disagreeing with, but rather the way in which it was phrased. But moving on...

Since we are on the topic of two vs one, I do have a few questions:

What genders do well together?
    If you get them at the same time (both babies from the same clutch, or similar aged young birds from the same breeder), what are the chances they will get along as adults? What do you do if they don't?
    How do you select a second bird if you start with one and want to bring another home later?
    Is it more difficult to tame two at a time? (or keep tame since I've heard they need regular "handling" to stay that way)
    Also how big of a cage do you need for two vs one (so that they have the space if they need it from each other)

13. Sylvester

When it comes to a bunch of typed words, I usually reserve judgement. LJ is one of the most knowledgably people on this thread, and she goes out of her way to help. She is someone a novice would want in their corner. Quite often, typed replies can be misconstrued.

I am not an expert like some others on this forum are, so my reply is only based on experience.

Same or different genders bond equally. You are not breeding, right?

Chances are good that they bond well as adults if introduced as babies. And if they don't, you will have to separate them.

Selecting should be restricted to around the same breed or at least size of the first bird, however, I have seen a gcc and a grey bond nicely.

Yes, it more difficult to tame two at a time. And one will definitely bond with you better if another bird is not around.

Unless you get them both as babies I would have two cages.

Last edited: 3/9/19
    Lady Jane likes this.
  14. katebf38

katebf38 Strolling the yard

I have a new pineapple green cheek conure and an older 75 pound boxer and a Japanese Chin. To be safe I take the bird to a bedroom for exercise, bonding and play time. He has a table top play station, food water and toys in there and he’s safe from any mishaps with the dogs. My did loves to play on the floor with toys, eat on the Playtop, but mostly he wants to be on me. He flies (glides) down to the floor real wel, but he’s not able to fly back up yet. His wings were clipped before I got him. Point is i’d rather be safe than sorry.

Sylvester likes this.
  15. Kalakins

Kalakins Moving in

Correct, no intentions to breed.

If I were to have two, I'd prefer to stick with the same species. And like I had said earlier, if I were to go that route, I would be more comfortable starting with one, and then adding another later once I had a better feel for linnies (since this is a new thing for me). But then that makes me worry that they wouldn't get along. And while I wouldn't mind having to get another cage, I'm not sure I have the room for two large flight cages.

Thanks Kate, My dog is also on the larger side. I knew right from the start that we would have to do playtime in another room - the dog would be fine with a bird in the flight cage in the living room, but I wouldn't dare take the risk of having them both out at the same time. Does your conure ever go for playtime and not want to go back to his cage after? Or is he just used to the routine?

16. katebf38

katebf38 Strolling the yard

He hates going back to the cage - clings to me and squawks loudly, but I try to always have a treat for him in there and to redirect him so he’s finally okay going back. Important to make him feel there is a reward for going back in. His cage is in the living room where the action is anyway so he’s not bored.

Sophie’s, the boxer’s, pillow/bed is right next to his cage so they do interact all the time. I just don’t trust her when he gets excited or flaps his wings.

Last edited: 3/10/19
  17. Sylvester

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)