• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG! Rat in the cage!!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Just read your post, maybe I should answer it. She's having a bar spacing of 5/8. And maybe I've to reconsider my opinion about rodents and rats. Ofcourse they can never be more important than shine. Shine is my baby!!
You said it!!:)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If you don't want to kill them and can get them far enough away they can't come back more power to you. Now if you get a huge population going you will have to adjust your tactics. That little guy should consider himself lucky just like the two here that got caught but weren't killed outright and were in good shape to be released. I just hope they decided to go somewhere safer to be a mouse.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The rat's gone? Hooray, good news! I missed that part.:thumbsup:

Oh wait, I did see that & forgot or was too wrapped up in the back-and-forth that I missed it. :o:

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I know this thread should come to a close but perhaps its time to find a cage with 1/2" spacing between the bars. 1/2" wont stop mice from entering the cage but it will stop adult rats from entering a birds cage. I am not sure what country you live in, you said this was an indian rat, so I assume you may live there? Sorry for the presumption if I am wrong. Are there big enough cages where you are from that a 1/2" cage bar spaced cage will be big enough for a cockatiel. You may have to import one to your country that is suitable (large and 1/2" bar space). Might also want to relocate the cage somewhere in your home that will be safer.

Where do you think the rat came in from?

Im glad it is finally gone :) But as other's have said, if there is one there will be more. I work with mice daily (part of my work) and I adore them. I adore rats. Both mice and rats make excellent pets. However, I have had wild mice attack and kill my pet baby birds before when I was 13 years old and I was devastated. I was so darn sad. I have killed and would kill wild mice or rats that came into my home if I could not relocate them. With that said, a friend of mine even used glue traps and we rescued the poor mice from them and released them a block or two away when we were teens. So you do what you have to do and sometimes your heart will help you along the right path.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
I know this thread should come to a close but perhaps its time to find a cage with 1/2" spacing between the bars. 1/2" wont stop mice from entering the cage but it will stop adult rats from entering a birds cage. I am not sure what country you live in, you said this was an indian rat, so I assume you may live there? Sorry for the presumption if I am wrong. Are there big enough cages where you are from that a 1/2" cage bar spaced cage will be big enough for a cockatiel. You may have to import one to your country that is suitable (large and 1/2" bar space). Might also want to relocate the cage somewhere in your home that will be safer.

Where do you think the rat came in from?

Im glad it is finally gone :) But as other's have said, if there is one there will be more. I work with mice daily (part of my work) and I adore them. I adore rats. Both mice and rats make excellent pets. However, I have had wild mice attack and kill my pet baby birds before when I was 13 years old and I was devastated. I was so darn sad. I have killed and would kill wild mice or rats that came into my home if I could not relocate them. With that said, a friend of mine even used glue traps and we rescued the poor mice from them and released them a block or two away when we were teens. So you do what you have to do and sometimes your heart will help you along the right path.
I'll look for 1/2" cage....I hope I'll find one here :)