1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG! Rat in the cage!!!

Discussion in 'Cockatiel Corner' started by Mohit Gaur, 1/10/19.

1. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    :yes1:

Mohit Gaur and Sylvester like this.
  2. Revali

Revali Strolling the yard

the-terminator.001.jpeg You know what to do OP. Birdies first :birdance:

Mohit Gaur and Hankmacaw like this.
  3. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    Nice! :laugh: but I think @Mohit Gaur's on the right track trying to save the cutie. lol ;) Though had the rat attacked Shine I think things would be much different. :auntiegg:We'd be seeing his "Bad Cop" side real quick! [​IMG]

Mohit Gaur, Jas, Lady Jane and 2 others like this.
  4. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

saroj
    Rat can bite her and kill her

Mohit Gaur, Eloy and Hankmacaw like this.
  5. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

saroj
    Rats are large what is the bar spacing of your cage?

6. Revali

Revali Strolling the yard

For sure the kind way is best with animals if you can. Their lives are hard enough. I would not tolerate mice/rats in my birds cage though. They have no problems eating live things but there is certainly nothing wrong with humanly trapping it and releasing it far off.

Mohit Gaur and faislaq like this.
  7. janicedyh

janicedyh Rollerblading along the road

Janice
  8. saroj12

saroj
    Big risk of death. Get rid of it before it attacks Shine. You’ll never forgive yourself

9. saroj12

saroj
    It’s not a joke. Rats are deadly and will attack and kill. Get with the program

10. MauiWendy

MauiWendy Sprinting down the street

Wendy
    My daughter has a rat in her home. Scared the bajeebies out of her last night, she screamed when it ran after her. I hope she got what she needed to get rid of the thing.

Mohit Gaur and saroj12 like this.
  11. Budgiebonkers

Budgiebonkers aka Pandapaws23 Avenue Veteran

If there is one there is more I had a mouse underneath my cage where one of my birds are also had a rat trying to make a nest in the cabinet where the rest of my birds are blocked the holes and set traps

12. Ripshod

Ripshod Walking the driveway

Linden
    I have to agree 100%. Yes, get rid of the rat, but you have to find out where they're getting in.
    Know anyone that keeps polecats? Apparently the pee makes a good repellant.

13. Sylvester

Sylvester Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

What makes you think that trapping the rat in a live trap is not getting with the program? The rat will be away from the bird but it will still get to live. There is no reason that 'killing' anything has to be only way in solving the problem.

14. Kodigirl210

Kodigirl210 Walking the driveway

We caught a mouse sneaking into the room at my sister’s. We ordered live traps from Amazon. I put bird food as the bait since that is exactly what attracted it to begin with and less than 3-hours after I set the trap, the mouse was caught. My Sis drove it about 5-miles away & has been mouse free ever since. Live & let live. The world would be a very small place if we killed everything that could threaten ours/anyone’s fids. Very small indeed. :)

Mohit Gaur, BirdField and Sylvester like this.
  15. Sylvester

Sylvester Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Very well said. Never thought about using the bird food as bait. Good idea.

Last edited: 1/11/19
  16. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Suzanne
    What's more important the bird or the rat … get rid of the rat it Will KILL YOUR BIRD.
    end of story...zeezzz :headsmack:
    You think that 'cute rat ' gives a rats patooti about your bird.
    One more thing...your helpless bird has no recourse no chance of escape a predator
    (which the rat is) . this helpless bird depends upon YOU to keep it from harms way.

Last edited: 1/11/19
    Mohit Gaur and Hankmacaw like this.
  17. tka

tka Sprinting down the street

Make sure you also make your place as unfriendly to rats as possible. This means making sure both your and Shine's food are in sealed containers - preferably metal but sturdy plastic will do. You must have no open bags or cardboard boxes. Rats are opportunistic and if you make it hard for them to find food in your home, they'll go elsewhere.

They are also very good at finding their way home, so if you buy a live trap you must release the rat far away from your home. Just taking the rat outside and releasing it won't solve the problem.

18. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

One rat? From what I know, if you see one, there's probably more, or soon will be.

Protect your bird, they can and will attach a bird. A small bird is in more danger, what type of bird do you have?

I too thought I had one winter mouse hanging out with me last year. I ended up catching six!

19. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Sorrry, all of you super kindly folks. I don't have one whit of sympathy for a darned mouse/rat. I have reasons, but you would never be able to understand (nor would you try) since you have been so sheltered that you think killing a rat is bad.

Kill the darned rat/mouse or give your bird to someone who cares more for it.

20. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    First I will say that I like all animals, and all animals have the right to be threaten with respect.
    But...
    When it comes to my parrots, that IS my family I could have killed the rat with my bare hands to keep my girls safe.
    Rats eat birds so their is more to worry about and not just that part about spreading diseases.

And I agree with Mary Lynn, if you can't keep your bird safe give it to someone that can. The bird should not pay with his life because you can't do what you have to do.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)