• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG! Rat in the cage!!!

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
This little indian rat had eyes on my room for a few days and I didn't want to kill/trap her because she was really cute and doing no harm! And today I went outside for a few moments, came back just to find that this little rat was in Shine's cage trying to eat food that had fallen:banghead: Shine was terrified!Rat images (2).jpeg ran away on my arrival, and me being paranoid cleaned the cage and every belonging, food dishes, perches and everything with warm water and water vinegar disinfectant and water again! And cleaned everything, replaced food and then even changed food bowls:lol: And now I wanna ask here! Is there a risk involved? Of some infection or something?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Get rid of the rat. Rats are one of the major carriers of disease and bacteria. Don't risk your bird for a darned rat.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think since you stopped her right away and disinfected everything you should be fine. I would be more concerned with finding ways to prevent future visits. :) I wouldn't have hurt her either, but maybe you could catch her and release her outside, then find out how she got in and block that off? I'm glad she only wanted Shine's food and didn't attack Shine!

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Yes, you need to get rid of her, but please, do it humanely. There are life traps that can catch her and then take her out to a field somewhere. Don't kill her, she can't help what she is.

She is cute.
I too wish to get rid of her in a humane way! Suggestions?

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
I think since you stopped her right away and disinfected everything you should be fine. I would be more concerned with finding ways to prevent future visits. :) I wouldn't have hurt her either, but maybe you could catch her and release her outside, then find out how she got in and block that off? I'm glad she only wanted Shine's food and didn't attack Shine!
I changed shine's place and put her cage on a higher table and I'll keep an eye on her! Suggestions to prevent the future visits of the unwanted visitor?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I changed shine's place and put her cage on a higher table and I'll keep an eye on her!
Good idea!

Our city's Animal Services let us rent them for a few days. Do you have any place like that?

I used to have a pet rat that was allowed to run around my old apartment while we were home. She usually came when called, but sometimes she was a stinker so we put those plastic Wal-Mart bags in the corners of the living room so when we heard one rustle we'd know where she was. If the rat is getting in while you're home, I wonder if you could put some crinkly plastic around her cage so you could hear an intruder? I know it would only work if you were within earshot. Or is Shine's cage portable enough to bring room-to-room with you til y'all catch the rattie?

Last edited:

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Good idea!

Our city's Animal Services let us rent them for a few days. Do you have any place like that?
No such place here! If this rat troubles again, or if i see other rats- I'll ask my friends to let shine visit them for a few days:)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Still try to see where she got into your house. Maybe she sometimes goes out the same way, then you could stop her from coming back in. :shrug3: Or at least know where to set some kind of live trap.

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
Do you know how the rat got itself into the cage in the first place?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I use the sticky kind... I know its not as humane but I want it gone. This morning I saw a mouse. It needs to go! I will try and release it after its caught but no guarantees.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
No offense to our beautiful Hawaiian bird, but please don't use the sticky kind of trap. I have seen rodents with their feet torn off when that kind of trap is used.
No offense taken and I hear what you are saying, but I have tried other types of traps, they don't work, at least not for hawaiian rodents. We have alot of mice and rats here on maui. Sticky traps are now my go to. You can use vegetable oil to release it.