• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

OMG I'm freaking out

Status
Not open for further replies.

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
My new bird, Chili, just laid an egg!! She hasn't laid an egg for at least 4+ years at the rescue. I watched the whole thing happen. I was so worried. I didn't know if I should try to help, or what. It felt like an hour...really it was only about 45 sec from being able to see it and it falling to bottom of the cage and breaking. (so she doesn't get to sit on it...thankfully I don't have to make that choice)

She has been acting strange the last three days...until today when she seemed more perky. She has been sleeping a lot, won't step up for me, etc. Tonight she kept climing down to the bottom of her cage and looking around. I thought it was strange...

So here's what I'm freaking out about: ekkie clutches are between 1 and 3ish eggs. Do I need to watch her intently for more? Or what? They havent been fertilized. What should I do to suppliment her diet?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:o: No advice from me but I'm sure someone helpful will come along. Sit tight.:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I've never had to deal with eggs so am no help except to give her calcium rich foods because a growing egg will deplete her calcium. From what I remember (but I may be wrong) it should take maybe two or three days for her to lay the next one?? You'll get valid info soon. :hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Vitamin suppliments freak me out...especially with an ekkie...

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I don't know if you all remember my thread about her going down on the floor, and me fighting to keep her off of it cause I knew she was looking for a nest. She was never on the floor for more than 2 minutes. Her cage is in a well lit area, and there are no nesting materials in her cage.

Does her laying an egg indicate that she feels safe? That she has picked a mate?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Vitamin suppliments freak me out...especially with an ekkie...
Ekkies need calcium regularly so when building eggs it should be ok to supplement some because you don't want her body to be depleted. :)

Magic

Real Name
Sherry
i just went thru this with kayla you need to make sure she gets lots of cuddle bone and good fruits and veggies if you dont want to add stuff to her water heres what i do to make sure she gets some shave the cuddle bone on her veggies or mash ive ben keeping an eye on kayla sense shes layed an egg im not changing her diet im just adding more cuddle bone on her food daily is all

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
If her fertilized clutch can be up to 3 eggs, should I plan on there being more in the next couple days?

I'm ok with giving her calcium, but a little concerned with adding vit e.

She sure is sleeping soundly almost immediately after laying it...is that normal?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sara, relax. The majority of birds lay their eggs without problem; it is as natural as breathing. Supply her with a calcium supplement, don't freak about going to the bottom of the cage (natural behavior) and watch her. My cockatiels laid eggs two days apart. Interfering with her normal physiological functions (laying eggs, feeling broody) will just increase her stress, not reduce it. The same is true of you, of course!:lol:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
They eggs are probably not fertile, so don't be disappointed.

When my female Eclectus lays eggs, I always offer her Herb Salad mixed with Hatched, which is purified eggshell. It's not a supplement, but the real thing. She takes what she instinctively knows she needs. In that way, I am not forcing upon her anything she is not needing.

forthemall

Moving in
Isn't there a big avian store in Plano or Mesquite? They would be more apt to have the correct suppliments for your bird then Petsmart or one of the smaller places. Good luck.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I wouldn't worry about it Sara. Like Laurul Feather Cat said, most egg laying is without problems.

I've never supplemented calcium. From what I understand, it's constant egg laying that depletes calcium, not the occasional egg/clutch.

Also, you already give her calcium if you are feeding any of these on a regular basis: turnip greens, collard greens, spinach, kale, broccoli, almonds, lentils or garbanzo beans.

Laying off the perch resulting in a broken egg is common and is definitely easier on a hen who would be sitting infertile eggs anyway.

I'll bet you were definitely surprised, considering you've only been with Mister for a few years! Imagine if she'd laid in your lap. It happens! Hard saying why her body decided to produce an egg now but I don't think it's because she thinks she has a mate. If she and Mister decide to become friends and even mates, it doesn't mean she'll continue to lay, btw. My pair (who have parented 3 clutches) mate frequently but have not laid in well over a year (thank goodness). It seems to be a little easier to discourage egg laying with bonded pairs than single hens.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
She did lay off the perch, so the egg fell on the grate and broke. She didn't seem to care. Definitely infertile.

Now that I know what I am looking at, I can see her vent is pretty rounded at the moment, so I assume that she will lay again tonight. She seems tired, but she is eating and drinking and pooing (with extra urates, strangely enough)

I talked to my vet for about 30 min on the phone. She gave me a lot of info on what is normal, abnormal, etc so I know what to expect. For example, she has white mucusy stuff around her vent...I was told that it is just lubricant, and unless it starts oozing or dripping excessively, that it's fine...

I know...everyone says don't worry. I'll try to just be observant and calm because I know my anxiety can influence hers. I prob won't go to bed tonight until I see the egg tho :o:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Great attitude, Sara. Just a little info: my board certified avian vet told me the biggest influence on whether a hen lays an egg is general body condition. Only a bird in top physical shape will start laying eggs initially. After they do lay an egg or two, then other factors influence them as well; light, food sources, bathing, mate...). So congratulations for doing everything right and keeping your bird in such a wonderful physical condition her body decided it wanted to do the ultimate a body can do: reproduce itself.

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Aw, you almost made me cry, lol. Even though she is relatively new (1 month this Fri), I feel such a connection with her. We actually have a lot of stuff in common as strange as that sounds...

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Isn't there a big avian store in Plano or Mesquite? They would be more apt to have the correct suppliments for your bird then Petsmart or one of the smaller places. Good luck.
Yep, there are a couple actually. Tree Top Bird Center is the best. I'm going there tmw. It is in Dallas area. Then there is Kukaburra in Carrolton area. I don't like it there because their cust svc leaves a lot to be desired everytime I've been there...

Status
Not open for further replies.