• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Omg!! How forgiving is Avian Organics Papaya bread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg:My other half thought to attempt baking for the birds. As simple as it may be to just measure water and add it to the mixture, he added 2 cups instead of 1 1/2 cups to the mixture!!:faint:

YOu know that saying * Don't wish things were easier, wish you were better*? In my case that would mean be more patient and understanding when others screw up the bird bread!! :ashamed1: Well, it was really hard...:lol:

Doesn't he realize how precious bird bread is around here and no messing around with the formula?:tmsmakesme:

*sigh* I find myself reciting the below very often. It's in the oven. Do we bake it longer or would it be more fitting for the garbage?? ooh! hope Sarojie sees this and comes to the rescue. She might know right?
:huh:

Last edited:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you have any ground flax add some. Flax is very absorbent and bird healthy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you have any ground flax add some. Flax is very absorbent and bird healthy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks Merlie. It's already in the oven. I just hope it's salvageable (sp?)? I wlll let you all know.:D

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

Thanks Merlie. It's already in the oven. I just hope it's salvageable (sp?)? I wlll let you all know.:D
It will be fine, just leave it an extra 5 minutes. Or, simply leave it in the oven 10-15 minutes AFTER you turn the oven off.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hmmm,
Now that it is already baking.....I think it will just be a little softer. My bannock with 1 1/2 cups of water is very hard. You could mix in some powdered pellets and make tiny balls out of them after it is done. Jack says I should bake one with 2 cups of water and let you know :huh:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
It will probably be fine. What did you add an extra half cup of water? If so, it might need a little extra cooking. Put the fork in the middle at the regular time. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not cook. 10-15 min longer and watch for the sides to pull away from the edges. Then do the knife trick again. You WILL FOR SURE be ble to salvage something.

Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I've burned my AO bread before and the birds still loved it!! I'm pretty sure you can salvage it, it's so good the birds don't care! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I would put some alum foil over it to prevent overbrowning because of the extra cooking time ;)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
We're going to be needing a piccie of this when it comes out. For better or for worse. :hehe:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys.:hug8: YOu're all awesome.. Who else would understand my craziness?:rofl:

It seems ok. A little bouncier? or spongier? I hadn't seen the responses yet, however I turned off the oven after 45 minutes and then left it in there for another 5 and then took it out but didn't touch it for another 10. :o: Oh yes, I had actually thought to throw in some dried cranberries because I hoped they would soak up the extra water?

Haven't given any to the birds yet but does look ok.:dance4:

Attachments

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm,
Now that it is already baking.....I think it will just be a little softer. My bannock with 1 1/2 cups of water is very hard. You could mix in some powdered pellets and make tiny balls out of them after it is done. Jack says I should bake one with 2 cups of water and let you know :huh:

:hehe::hug8: seems that it will work out with 2 cups of water too. For the bannock I usually add a few extra tablespoons of water otherwise it seems rather hard to mix well?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks guys.:hug8: YOu're all awesome.. Who else would understand my craziness?:rofl:

It seems ok. A little bouncier? or spongier? I hadn't seen the responses yet, however I turned off the oven after 45 minutes and then left it in there for another 5 and then took it out but didn't touch it for another 10. :o: Oh yes, I had actually thought to throw in some dried cranberries because I hoped they would soak up the extra water?

Haven't given any to the birds yet but does look ok.:dance4:
Looks great! Nice job to the SO! :madwife::hellskitchen::sweep:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's Mabel with Papaya Bread made with 2 cups of water.. :D

[video=youtube;pCcasVrCN2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcasVrCN2M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She seems to approve! Matt

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
Looks like it turned out awesome!

I know that "OH NO" feeling well :o: but its usually me who messes it up, not hubby haha.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
thanks guys!:)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I think you are truly so fortunate to have a hubby that tries so hard. Always remember:

a). To take his hand and show him the road rather than just point to it; and
b). When he gets wrong, to turn off the nagging gene. (I know this is hard because all you girls are born with it and when it kicks in guys activate the switch off gene); and
c). Give him a list of safe additions that you don't normally use so he can experiment and come up with his own creations; and
d). Observing the world through someone elses eyes allows us to grow by seeing things evolve we hadn't thought of;
e). As hard as it maybe at times, show patience and compassion...when it comes to looking after the birds, he couldn't possibly ever have a better mentor than you. ;)

While I'm sure he enjoys being with the birds because they are a part of you, by doing this you will hopefully engender your love of your feathered friends upon him so that love also becomes his. After all, in a perfect world, behind every Crazy Bird Lady there should be a Crazy Bird Bloke. May the two of you always enjoy the journey. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D Thanks Gerard!

Status
Not open for further replies.