• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG Grandma is Holding BEAUTIES!!!

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Everyone is doing well at grandmas. She had almost given them all of the Zupreem pellets. She's still giving them those d*mn sunflower seeds. She just won't let them go. I can't change her. I can only hope to make some positive change in their diet. She is giving them the other seed and dried veggie & dried fruit mix (Higgins), though for some reason she's not giving them very much of it. They didn't mix them together, like i asked, but rather, she opened the bags one by one. I cringe to think that their bowls are filled with 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds and the good things are probably getting dumped on the floor because they'd rather eat the junk. She had some regular mixed nuts, just a little bit left, but she doesn't understand that you can't just continue to feed them only that stuff.
Two of the three seemed to.enjoy the Flatbread Fusion bread. The Sulfur Crested seemed to be in a Mood and just wanted to grab me & pull me to her beak today- NO, I am not a Too chew toy, no matter how pretty she says "HI!"

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I know it's a bit frustrating but you have already made progress with Grandma and these birds! So be proud of that and chip away at the old habits. :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also love this story and look regularly for updates.

I'd like to add one thing though...

Help her by staying in her means and age set ways, as closely as possible. Even if it seems not to be the best for the birds in your opinion.

What happens if you stop going for any reason? Most people don't do this type of thing for years, and grandma may still be around for years.
I hope this does stay a life long friendship, and you both receive pleasure from it, but plan for a time you may not be there.

Teach grandma what she can do on her own. Good homemade food that she will always have access to. Pellets you bring, may not be something she can not continue if you don't supply them.
Birdie bread is something she will always be able to make. Chop is also something she can continue. Make it for her with ingredients she is likely to have. Not the fancy stuff many of us prefer and buy specifically for our birds.

Same with bought toys. She herself may not have the funds, or a way to get bought toys on a regular basis.
Teach her about phone books. About plain cardboard woven through cage bars. White shoelaces tied together.
Teach and show her ideas for homemade entertainment projects, with stuff she will have access too.

Help her remain as independent as possible, even as you open her and her birds to a new existence.

Nothing is as sad as finding a ray of light, and then seeing it vanish with no hope of having it again.
You are most likely the last ray of light she will have. Give her ways to keep that light in her and her birds world, with or without you there.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if you need ideas for forging toys just give me a shout, I make all sorts of them for the birds at the clinic. and I Frankenstein toys from parts of other toys.

Rolanda

@macawpower58 I see your point. She does seem to be giving them more fresh fruit, which is a positive. It could be because it is summer and they are more plentiful and cheaper, but that IS a plus. The two Toos had a lunch of French Fries when I was there yesterday. I was twitchy-not because they were having a once in a while snack, but because it was obviously a normal occurrence. You are right, I'll need to devise some easier enrichment for her. She is currently using 2X4's (or maybe 2X3's or something like that) in the cages at some points for perches for them to cross the cages (makes me cringe), and those are chewed through form entertainment. We've got to do better than that!
Honestly, though, all three of them seem to be in good feather, clear eyed... besides behavioral issues for attention they do not seem to be ailing (with the exception of missing breast feathers on the Sulfur, that do not appear to be from plucking or anything like that).

ANY suggestions for Home made enrichment would be greatly appreciate! They really need it. The M2 SCREAMS for attention. When I go over I turn away from her when she does but give her attention when she stops. When petting is over she will go tom the bottom of the cage and search for something to play with (since there is nothing anywhere else). She'll pick up nut shells and crack them or shred a piece of paper. It's kind of sad... almost like she's trying to adopt regular behaviors... go on about a regular day, but the environment isn't there.

The Derbyan is just gorgeous he ran right over and had his chunk of bread, played with a little foot toy and then had a nap. His coloring is stunning, not a ruffled feather.

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I actually use 2x4's in my macaw's cage, at least I have one as a perch. I even have holders that are made for bird cages for it.
I put one in hoping he'd chew it. Chaos kept chewing through my $40 dollar perches!
So not really bad, other types along with it, are of course best for the feet.

Hopefully others will toss in some ideas of cheap stuff to make with products in the home.

You can cut paper into strips (perhaps newspapers) and tie in the middle for a dangling shredding toy.
Coffee filters strung on wire/chain also make good shredding toys.

Toilet paper rolls. Paper towel/Xmas paper rolls work.
My macaw loves any type of cardboard. I weave strips through his cage bars.
I'll punch holes into a box and tie it to the inside of his cage and toss stuff into it for him to forage.

Tree branches from trees in the yard with leaves still attached are loved (maybe feared at first).
Check to see if she has safe trees first.

Oh, and suggest sweet potato fries (no salt) and perhaps oven baked.

Give her some bird skewers, and show her how much fun the birds have tearing raw veggies and fruit from them. Easily refillable, and healthy fun.
You can even stick those toilet rolls on the skewer sticks when no food is on them.

Just a few ideas that pop into my head.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
with gift wrap tubes, I make rain makers by using the largest thickest tube for the outside tube putting smaller tubes inside. those smaller tubes I cut notches in |_| and fold them inwards. for the noise I use Nutri-berries , a few sunflower seeds, almond chunks, walnut pieces. the top and bottom of the outer tube I fold inwards )(, so they overlap. if they don't stay folded inwards I punch a holes thru the cardboard and knot it together with either jute or cotton twine. to hold it inside the cage and big SS pear hook. b/4 I put them in cages, I roll them back and forth so the bird hears there is something inside.

Rolanda

Oh, also forgot to say that The Gods were smiling on us... as we left out the door to visit Grandma yesterday our box of wood was delivered from Avian Antics. I just threw the box into the car. I gave about 1/3 of it to Grandma for the kids! I handed each a piece before I left! I'm sure they will make quick work of them but it'll be some mental stimulation. Really easy toy I made for Beaks... paper straw bent into a triangle with a piece of chippy wood on it (tuck one end into the other to hold the triangle together) it can be hung onto any cage wrung. I'll make up a few and give them to my friend, either grandma can make them or I'll just make a lot for the kids and give them to her.:xflove:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Just wandering how things are going.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My Co-worker/friend has been telling me that her Grandma has these "Darn Birds" SHE JUST LOVES. The family is worried that Grandma is starting to slip a little mentally. They have rehomed her dogs. BOY was she PI**ED!!! She went to the Rescue looking for them a week later and they had all been adopted, so she went to one of he family members that kept one and took it back. FEISTY Mexican Grandma! (I LOVE Grandma's like that!). Grandma is in her 80's. My Co worker finally sent me a picture of those DARN birds and I was astonished! (yes, I know they need larger cages, and that they need more toys and are in bad need of cleaning... I will probably be taking care of some of that for Grandma... soon).
Look at the DARN Birds Grandma has!:shocked2:
View attachment 250466

I think I just adopted them... Grandma and Birds. I think I'll go over and do some cleaning and take some toys:heart:
That's not a grandma that is a typical Old World grandmother - in this case an abuela. Old World grannies are not to be messed with - they can and will make your lives miserable if they so choose. I know, mine was German descent, and Fred's were German descent and the other Armenian born. Then include my mum, Granny Effie, and Fred's mom, Grandmom.

Rolanda

I sent another set of toys over last week. Need to have my friend order more food/pellets for her and mix them before she gets them. You are right. She is going to do what SHE feels is right. Sunflower Seeds are her thing. But the other foods are eaten and have good stuff for them, so having those and the Bird Bread, and some toys, I think will help them in any case.

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
For entertainment, paper bags!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use the paper bags from the grocery store, as the bag lady can attest, its fun, (per Valentine) I put it on top of her cage and she loves to attack it

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yep - just plain paper bags.