• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Ollie's 9th Gotcha Day!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yeah, I remember my favorite critters and folks, surprising even to me, but I know my license number, vin for my Dart, my Jeep I used to have, license plates for most of them, stupid stuff like that just sticks. It has come in handy before when official type folks try to trip me up. Of course remembering what job I did two days ago... NOPE!
:coffeescreen: I'm getting a little like that too, Terry!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Happy 9th Gotcha day Ollie!!!! I hope you all had a great day together! I loved all the photographs, some funny, but all beautiful! :loveshower:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
What sweet face!!:xflove::heart: Sucks about his nostrils but its great he has such a diligent owner :heart: Just curious does he ever have nasal flushes done?
No, Sarah. Ollie is kind of only tame with me. He has a complete melt down on any visit to the vet... panting very heavily and audibly, and mucus bubbles coming out of his eyes. On our last vet visit, to my own vet in London, the vet was kind of shocked. Because he has Asper too, I hate doing anything that stresses him out unless it is an emergency.

The woman who rescued him and kept him for 9 months whilst looking for a forever home for him used to catch him up daily to clean out his nostril with some sort of instrument and give him meds, but it's given him a real phobia about hands. I've also heard that nasal flushes can hurt and it's a bit like water boarding. He had sinus troubles which gave him the swollen nostril. When he first came to me anytime the nostril cleared the hole was like a pin prick. Over the years the hole has definitely grown in size to almost normal which is great as there is more likelihood of it eventually keeping clear itself.

What I'm experimenting with now is getting him used to me scratching his nostril as I am thinking that I might be able to gradually introduce something like a rubber point (maybe part of a dental instrument) and start cleaning it out with his face pressed against the cage bars using skritches as reinforcement.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks Shezbug and Zara!! :heart: :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What I'm experimenting with now is getting him used to me scratching his nostril as I am thinking that I might be able to gradually introduce something like a rubber point (maybe part of a dental instrument) and start cleaning it out with his face pressed against the cage bars using skritches as reinforcement.
That sounds far less stressful than a nasal flush! Good luck with it, I hope it works! :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That sounds far less stressful than a nasal flush! Good luck with it, I hope it works! :)
Thanks Zara. To be honest I am constantly worried about it. I'm terrified it might become a rhinolith which is why I keep taking photos of it so I can magnify it up and keep a better eye on it. Luckily Olllie LOVES showers, and that's what seems to clear it temporarily at least.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think I would worry over it constantly too. I like to use photos to monitor progress too. It´is handy as it stores the dates as well as visual changes. Lucky he loves the shower! :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd had a mass they found and they wanted to do a expensive MRI in Seattle like 300 miles away. Other then that he was doing great, happy, healthy, and active. We finally told them we couldn't afford it so they agreed to just keep an eye on it for changes. It never changed and he just kept being Nerd so they decided it was old scaring and left it at that.
He also got a little bump under his white skin around one eye. It would get bigger and smaller depending on whether he'd bumped his head recently trying to fly. Other then looking a bit odd it never affected him either his whole life. After that I just tried not to worry about him unless something changed drastically and he was just a happy, skinny little tank for the rest of his life.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww, happy gotcha day Ollie!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks, tka!! :heart:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Happy Gotcha Day Ollie!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thank you, Kate! :heart:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Happy Gotcha Day! :bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle:
And sorry I'm late.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Happy gotcha day ollie!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I missed this one too somehow! So sorry! Happy belated gotcha day to the beautiful Ollie boy! Every picture just shows he's living such a wonderful life with you! Hope his nostril continues to get better!