• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ollie is such a playful bird

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
It is hard to believe his nickname was the "mute statue" when he was given to me. He was taken out of a home and not expected to survive that first night. He'd been kept in a filthy cockatiel cage for 4 years. Apparently his people were too scared of him to clean the cage. As a result he has aspergillosis and other respiratory issues. He was nursed back to health physically by a friend and then given to me as "he wasn't making progress as expected".

At first I couldn't even make eye contact with him - it would send him hiding behind his mirror. I left the mirror as it was his only friend, and gradually introduced other small toys. He was "cagebound", so as soon as he was ok about me approaching him I worked with him inside his cage. Stepping up on a hand held perch and gradually bringing him out of the door and back again. It took a long time as he would only take a palm nut from me back then and could only have one a day. Then 1.5 years later he suddenly flew out of his cage himself and landed on a hanging boing across the room where he had seen Kobe play.

A whole new world opened up for him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing that wonderful success story. It's great that he has flourished in your care. He's really beautiful! Looks like he is having a lot of fun on the boing. Thanks to your friend, too, for nursing him back to health.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He's a beautiful bird. Probably the prettiest of his species I've ever seen! Love a great success story.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's stunning, and has such a look of glee in his eye!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm such a fan of your flock, but Ollie in particular.
It breaks my heart to hear what he went through, but how he has come to life with you is just inspiring.
And he is so dang handsome to boot!
My girlie OWA would love a friend...wish you weren't so far away or we'd have a play date......
"Ollie and Polly sittin' in a tree, c-h-e-w-i-n-g" (a variation on a kids taunting song here)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
love the pictures and the story

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He looks so happy. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Ollie has come a very long way. What a happy boy.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks so much, everyone. He seems pretty happy now. It has taken a long time. Wish his original people could see what they missed out on. How anyone could be afraid of him is beyond me - he is the nicest, kindest bird you could wish to meet.

My girlie OWA would love a friend...wish you weren't so far away or we'd have a play date......
"Ollie and Polly sittin' in a tree, c-h-e-w-i-n-g" (a variation on a kids taunting song here)
LOL - I know Ollie would love an OW female friend. I searched for one before leaving for Jersey, but failed. Wish he could have a play date with your Polly!! :owa::owa:

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Wowow he's so beautiful! The sight of a perfectly feathered amazon butt makes my heart flutter.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
he's gorgeous! Amazing progress!