1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ollie had an emergency vet visit... (she's okay now)

Discussion in 'Macaw Motorway' started by issajoy, 10/3/18.

1. issajoy

issajoy Strolling the yard

Melissa
    My goofball is fine now, but last night we had to rush her to the vet.

She was playing on top of a cage, and tried to climb down from up top. She grabbed onto the towel that we use to cover her cage at night, and it came tumbling down with her. She bumped along the side of the cage when she fell, and broke several small tail feathers but broke a large tail blood feather.

She somehow managed to pull it completely from the follicle during her fall. She was bleeding, so of course we got the septic powder and tried to stop the blood. We did the best we could and slowed the bleeding, but she continued to bleed. We called the vet and rushed her to them, where the vet was able to fix her tail, cutting feathers that were broken and stitching the follicle to stop the bleeding.

She is fine now, has antibiotics and pain medicine and is drinking pedialyte. She is eating, drinking, and playing normally all day. We are taking her back to the vet next week to check up on her.

This was one of the scariest experiences of my life. Me and my girlfriend were able to think clearly and do our best to take care of her while we got her the help she needed. I'm glad that she's feeling better and acting normally, I just feel so horrible that this happened... I think we did the best we could but seeing her pain and blood and scared was so awful...

2. Erikalynnha

Erikalynnha Sprinting down the street

Erika
    Omgosh! That is scary :sadhug2: glad she is doing better! :heart: they really give us some scares huh? I swear I'm have grey hair before I'm 30 because of my feathered monsters xD

Peachfaced, Ankou, Shezbug and 2 others like this.
  3. MiniMacaw

MiniMacaw Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month BINGO CHAMPION

Lisa
    So glad you guys were there and she is doing well now! They’re just like kids sometimes, we don’t want them to get hurt but they find trouble every once in a while. :bluhug:

4. BeanieofJustice

BeanieofJustice Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Steph
    I'm glad she was okay! There's no shortage of heart-stopping moments with these guys.

5. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    With a macaw, if it isn't one thing, it's two others. Glad he's ok.

hrafn, Sarahmoluccan, issajoy and 3 others like this.
  6. Shezbug

Shezbug I have a macaw and don't post enough photos

Glad all is well with Ollie now. How scary that would have been for you all.

issajoy and Peachfaced like this.
  7. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road

Suzanne
    Very scary, good that you were able to get Ollie to a vet on short notice.

8. Fia Baby

Fia Baby Sprinting down the street

Beth
    You're so lucky to have an emergency vet close by who is knowledgeable about birds! Not everyone is so lucky... I'm glad he's okay!!

9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Glad that you were able to get her to the vet and she is OK.

10. issajoy

issajoy Strolling the yard

Melissa
    Thanks everyone, she had her follow up appointment yesterday and got her stitches out, the vet said she was healing nicely. Also did her annual check up while we were there, though Ollie didn't make it easy for the vet! :wacky:

Ollie is now super terrified of the poor vet though it was the same vet that came in for our emergency call - I love the vet practice we go to. They have three vets that are for avian, and one is always on call for emergencies if the office is closed. It's only about half an hour away from us too, I'm very thankful for them.

It's really nice to have a community like this where I can talk about these things. Thanks for being so great everyone :cheekkiss:

iamwhoiam, hrafn, Shezbug and 2 others like this.
  11. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating!!!

Sarah
    I'm so glad she's ok!! And healing up well!!:hug8:
    I once somewhat of a similar experience but on a much smaller level a long time ago. My Cockatiel Sam landed on my lovebird's cage and my lovebird Beaker took a decent size chuck out of one of Sam's toes. For the life of me I could not get to stop bleeding. I ended up going to a nearby vet, thankfully by the time I got there it stop bleeding.

But it's so scary when you can't get the bleeding to stop. You must have been so worried and panicked. I know I was during my experience. Great job getting to the vet so quickly. Your vets sounds awesome BTW. :D Its gotta be nice that you can now have breath a sign of relief :)

issajoy likes this.
  12. Shezbug

Shezbug I have a macaw and don't post enough photos

So glad to hear Ollie is doing well and healing nicely :)

issajoy likes this.
  13. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Glad shes ok!

14. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I am so happy it was not worse and that you had a vet to take her too. That is so important.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)