• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Ollie flew into mirror

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
I'm so glad to hear Ollie is okay. My GCC Conner flew into a French door and injured his beak. It took about two months for the damage to show. The vet told me that if something like that happens again, to put him in a quiet, dark place and cover him. Birds can easily go into shock, and need darkness and quiet to recover. Luckily, it hasn't happened again and I haven't closed that door. I'm going to be putting decals on the French door in case we ever do have to close it, to let the birds know that there is something there.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
A cheap solution is to cut/tear newspaper into long strips and curl them with scissors. Then tape strips over sections of the mirror.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You can try the infra red opaque bird decals they use on outdoor windows to try and stop bird strikes too if anyone thinks it would work if you need that mirror where it's at, or just cover it with cloth when not using it I spose.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Curling ribbon hung a few inches out from the mirror. That how I keep my two from going down the hallway.

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
How is Ollie doing today Lauren? Hope he's fine.
Thanks for asking. He is doing good it seems :) I’ve noticed him fall off of a perch once yesterday but idk if that was him being clumsy or not, because it’s not something he’s not done before :lol:
I’m going to continue monitoring him for the rest of the week just to be sure!

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I'm so glad to hear Ollie is okay. My GCC Conner flew into a French door and injured his beak. It took about two months for the damage to show. The vet told me that if something like that happens again, to put him in a quiet, dark place and cover him. Birds can easily go into shock, and need darkness and quiet to recover. Luckily, it hasn't happened again and I haven't closed that door. I'm going to be putting decals on the French door in case we ever do have to close it, to let the birds know that there is something there.
Oh no! I’m sorry for you and Conner :( is the damage still an issue or has it healed?
And thanks for the heads up, I’ll be keeping an eye out on his beak!

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
A cheap solution is to cut/tear newspaper into long strips and curl them with scissors. Then tape strips over sections of the mirror.
Good trick! I might try that, thanks :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
You can try the infra red opaque bird decals they use on outdoor windows to try and stop bird strikes too if anyone thinks it would work if you need that mirror where it's at, or just cover it with cloth when not using it I spose.
Ooooh! Good idea

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
Conner's beak is still having some issues with peeling, but it's gotten much better. It's also quite itchy, but he won't let me massage any coconut oil in it...he attacks my fingers. I did it once, and even though it gave him some relief from the itching, he decided that he didn't like it, lol. I hope your sweetie is doing okay. It took about two months for the damage to show, and it appeared as whitening spots and excessive peeling. I took him in to the vet and had his weight checked, but luckily, his weight has remained the same.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
So glad he's okay...they will vomit if they overextend themselves. Several of mine will do this if freaked out and do terrified room laps. Once they calm down, get their system relaxed again, they don't get sick again. If the vomiting continued or he was unbalanced, you might need to worry. Dr. O's rule of thumb for mine with head injuries, is quiet, NO heat, a double dose of metacam for swelling and watch for 72 hours.