• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Ollie flew into mirror

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I was trying to get him ready for a beak trim and my phone rang and spooked him. He started doing laps around the room and flew into my mirror, an issue we’ve never had before but since he was spooked, makes sense.

He flew back to his cage and sat on top and gripped the bars and would not move. I tried to get him to step up and he became defensive and tried biting. I backed off.

He then walked a little and started to vomit. I got him some fresh water and he sat there for a few minutes. Then on his own he walked to his food bowl and is now eating.

I’m thinking concussion or shock? The vomiting is what scares me. My vet is not open and I’m not sure of the nearest emergency vet that sees parrots, I’ve got to do some googling.

If all seems fine in 30-60 minutes should I not be worried anymore? I know taking him to the vet would be the best option but I’m not sure that will be able to happen. He’s definitely not going to get a beak trim today, too much stress.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does your vet have an after hours number to call ask what they think? Usually my vets leave this number on the auto recording

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Same here call and ask the vet. Keep Ollie warm and in smaller cage if possible. Watch for signs of unable perch without tipping over, not eating, unable to drink, more vomiting anything that is not normal.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I found an avian hospital 30 minutes away. I called and they will see him. I just can’t get him into the carrier he keeps biting at me. The towel scares him and makes him fly around the room and I don’t want him to hurt himself again :arghh:

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I would wait till he stabilizes a little bit you don't want him to fly into the wall or window again or get to excited because this can make it worse. After he calms down a little bit then try again to get him in the carrier. I don't know how dark it is in the room but you could try turning the lights off and then toweling him, being dark makes it a little easier and they'll usually hold still.

Good luck! I know how scary it is I had a similar incident with my gcc Lennerd. Hope he feels better!

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
If he’s eating and acting okay do you think we could wait on the vet? He is acting almost totally normal now and idk what to do. Don’t want to spend an arm and leg on hospital charges if he’s alright. But don’t want to risk it either. @Erikalynnha did you take your GCC to vet after incident?

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
If he’s eating and acting okay do you think we could wait on the vet? He is acting almost totally normal now and idk what to do. Don’t want to spend an arm and leg on hospital charges if he’s alright. But don’t want to risk it either. @Erikalynnha did you take your GCC to vet after incident?
I did not take Lennerd to the vet, his doc said stabilizing was more important as the stress in the car could kill him. He is a anxious traveler (throws up) and does not do good at vet office either (he fights the vet techs). I did speak to his vet on the phone and she help walk me through what to do. He had to be watch for 72hrs as this is when swelling can start. After he came to, he was panting, wobbly and holding wings and legs funny (lasted bout a min), she instructed me to look him over. I checked his eyes, ears and mouth for bleeding and bruising. I put him in his cage with some fruit and veggies, bowl of ice water and his vet said to give him a little coconut oil (he was eating a nutriberry when I finally caught him). I was told if he starts to vomitting alot or is still not acting right to bring him in right away. She said the only thing they could do at the vet for him would probably just to give him medicine for swelling. But again Lennerd is not a good bird at the vet and his doctor knows his limits. I can't tell you whether you should go to the vet or not go as you know your baby best but do keep a eye on him.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope Ollie is ok :sadhug2:

Reactions: Lo_

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I did not take Lennerd to the vet, his doc said stabilizing was more important as the stress in the car could kill him. He is a anxious traveler (throws up) and does not do good at vet office either (he fights the vet techs). I did speak to his vet on the phone and she help walk me through what to do. He had to be watch for 72hrs as this is when swelling can start. After he came to, he was panting, wobbly and holding wings and legs funny (lasted bout a min), she instructed me to look him over. I checked his eyes, ears and mouth for bleeding and bruising. I put him in his cage with some fruit and veggies, bowl of ice water and his vet said to give him a little coconut oil (he was eating a nutriberry when I finally caught him). I was told if he starts to vomitting alot or is still not acting right to bring him in right away. She said the only thing they could do at the vet for him would probably just to give him medicine for swelling. But again Lennerd is not a good bird at the vet and his doctor knows his limits. I can't tell you whether you should go to the vet or not go as you know your baby best but do keep a eye on him.
Yes of course, just curious as to how you handled the situation. Thank you, it makes me feel a little more at ease. He is preening now, balance seems to be fine. I think I will call vet and see if they have an after hours emergency line. If not call the hospital back and see what they recommend.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not too warm if you fear concussion Best to watch & keep him calm & have a vet available.

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Awwwww glad he is doing ok. Just keep monitoring him for now.

I ask my father after Lennerd head butted the wall if we could pad the walls with something.:lol:

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Looks steady with preening, hopefully he's ok!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just continue monitoring. Hope all will be well.

Reactions: Lo_

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks everyone for being there for Ollie and I while I freaked out a bit earlier o_O He is doing just fine, pooping, eating, drinking, playing, talking, flying, no balance issues.

I will continue to keep a close eye on him for the next couple of days. :heart:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
How is Ollie doing today Lauren? Hope he's fine.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad Ollie seems fine, and I hope he continues to be okay! Poor little bird, what a scary thing to have happen, especially with the vomiting.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Lucky...Have to put some netting over the mirror or cover it.

I'm like a vampire here...
Only naked mirror is in the bathrrom

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I suggest you remove the mirror from the room where he flies. So glad he has recovered.