• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Olive, all night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
[video=youtube;4vvJiosFojk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4vvJiosFojk[/video]

:blink:

(obviously, that's not olive, but these 2 are on the same, uh, wavelength...:rolleyes:)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hehe:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my, played that and half the conures flew over to investigate:eek:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Somebirdie wants some lovin'

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
It is so funny to see her up on top of her cage doing that off and on for hours...

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
She's been doing it all day today too. I think someone is going to bed early tonight!!

Anyone have a pionus that does it THIS much? It is common to do some in spring, but little Olive isn't doing much ELSE!

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Sounds like like a mix between a cough and a chuckle... or maybe her maternal instinct is kicking in. How old is she?

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes, it is definitely hormonal "come mate with me" behavior. She is about 9 yrs old and has laid an egg in the past. Sigh..

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Oh yes, it is definitely hormonal "come mate with me" behavior. She is about 9 yrs old and has laid an egg in the past. Sigh..
Ellen, is she agressive at all when she gets hormonal, or is this the extent of her behaviour? I have heard of very aggressive, "Jekyl and Hyde" type of personality changes in the Pionus species, which is what has steered me closer to the Poicephalus species. I am looking of adding another parrot to my flock, and considered both the Pois and Pionus. I do like the Pionus for their size but their temperament seems less predictable than the Pois. At 9 years old, Olive is still well within her reproductive stage.:)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
No, she is always very gentle with me, but I've only had her for 6 or 7 weeks. In fact, I have never really been bitten. She'll open her beak and warn me or move my hand away but no bites. I have heard to aggressive behavior is mostly with the males, and I'm sure when she's sitting on an egg it would be the same thing.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
This is one sound I don't miss. Kei used to do this for hours when she was hormonal. It usually only lasted a week or so though. She never laid eggs. She used to sit on her marbella beads though.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
This is one sound I don't miss. Kei used to do this for hours when she was hormonal. It usually only lasted a week or so though. She never laid eggs. She used to sit on her marbella beads though.
That's good to know. I have to say, most of her vocalizations I don't mind at all, but this one gets rather annoying when it's incessant! I've been slacking off on putting her to bed early because I want to spend as much time with her as possible, especially with Rocco here, but it is probably making this worse. I really don't want to have to deal with her laying eggs :(

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Well, she sounds wonderful. I'm sure that her excessive clucking will only last for the duration of her hormonal episode, for whatever length of time it lasts, and nothing to be concerned about. Much like us humans, hormonal levels and timeframes differ amongst parrots. She could be more or less hormonal than another female Pionus her age. It varies.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Odin too. Have to limit handling with her or else this will go on for hours. She is in high hormone over drive this week, calling a lot too :eek:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
What kind of calling is she doing? Olive's noises are unique and I'm trying to get used to them.

At least she's still sweet when hormonal :D My quaker was a female and I'll just say, she was not so nice when hormones were raging!

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Identical to the video, we call it her chicken dance :D She also does a high pitch long "PEEWWW!" sound. it gets a bit obnoxious at times, but she only ever calls for ten minutes or so, just looking for some attention. usually she does it when she wants to be in the same room as us, then starts her dancing if she gets her way. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.