• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Older" Petshop Cockatiel

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Onyx is beautiful! :heart: I’m so glad you gave him a home, and I can’t wait to hear updates on him!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I strongly advocate untame tiels be kept with another tiel, or maybe another bird species they can bond to, but definitely another bird. These birds suffer as single pets, all the more if they don't trust humans.

hopesmom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jennifer
Best of luck to you and Onyx! Take things slow and let him adjust. You'll know by his behavior when he's ready for more interactions. One thing that helped me bond with my neglected Grey when I was earning her trust was reading to her. I know someone else suggested this too. I chose to read little kid books and she just loved that time together before I tucked her in at night. It helped her get used to my voice and being close to her cage and she figured out quickly that it was non-threatening. She liked eating her grapes or Brazil nuts during story time and she always moved in closer to me. I loved it!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! He's adorable.

Nidarosis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maja
Thanks for all the advice you all!! <3
I am considering getting him a mate in the future, but as I wrote before he has been alone at the pet store for a while. I am in reality not allowed more than one bird where I live, but may try to convince the landlord. I'm not sure if the pet store is going to get any more cockatiels any time soon, and I don't have a drivers liscense, so getting anywhere else is kind of a struggle right now.

My focus for now is just to try my best to keep him happier than what he was in the petshop at least, because his stay there didn't seem like a good one.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a wonderful photo, he’s so handsome!!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:
He is very handsome!

Nidarosis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maja
Small update:

Onyx actually managed to fall asleep while his cage was somewhat close to us last night. He groomed himself and seemed to be relaxed. Grinding his beak sleepily which I also take as a good sign.

Of course he still had his moments of being a bit spooked or stressed, but it was a joy to see him able to relax a bit. Didn't expect it at all!

My partner did read some for him while I was at work and we plan to continue that :swoon:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is a big step! Great job:loveshower:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your 'tiel. He's very handsome!

Max83

Walking the driveway
good thing you took him, poor guy he must have feel lonely.

I think is young enough to be tamed if you have the patience and a not too busy room where the cage is settled where other people apart you hang around and could scare him with too many movements an sudden noises (dogs barking, children screaming etc).

Maybe he'll never be the cuddliest of birds but confident to sit on you I think yes :)

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:hello:

Nidarosis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maja
Update:

Onyx has been in his new cage for a few days now, and today marks his first week in his new home with us!
Amazingly enough he also started singing properly out of the blue just now, I was completely shocked, because he barely spoke before that.
I honestly felt so proud I could cry, such a sweet little voice <33

He is still very scared of hands and sudden movements, and always keeps an eye on us if we move too close, but its already better than before. My partner was allowed to sit right next to the cage and read for him without him freaking out, which is great progress!

Last edited: