• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oklahoma Bald Eagles

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I wish I had had my camera with me this morning. I drive by 6 Bald Eagle nests along the Arkansas River on my way to work. This morning a pair was mending their nest about 30 yards from the highway. I stopped and watched for about 20 minutes. It was fascinating to see them moving big limbs into place to reinforce the perimeter and smaller ones to pad the middle. A magic morning.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a sight that must've been! I noticed you said moving branches... not twigs. :blink:

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
They were flying in with up to 4 foot long 3-4 inch diameter limbs! There are about 20 nesting pairs within 10 miles of our home along the river. They fly over our house in the hills North of the river almost daily. There is also a large winter population of American white pelicans along the river. Along with the water fowl and indigenous birds it's a bird watchers paradise.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It sounds like it! I hope you are able to get some nice pics sometime. :pinksmile: