• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Okay so I need your help...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Harry, my BTM, is 7 yrs. old. He is not hormonal but could become hormonal. He has become territorial about his cage as he's gotten older, but many psittacines are. He is extremely mechanical. There is a nut and bolt attaching a breeder door to his cage. I tighten it regularly with a power driver. When he sets his mind to it, he can remove the nut fairly quickly. He can defeat and/or dismantle any c-link in under a minute. I've switched to EH toy hangers as a result. He goes through spurts of toy destruction. Again, when he sets his mind to it, he can match Annie, who can go through 10 blocks in a day. He is my only bird that can open a macadamia nut, even though Annie is 1400 g. and recently dented an avian stainless toy.

Harry is very hands-on and still cuddly, but for short periods. He ALWAYS wants to lay on his back in my arms and trusts me to catch him when he flops. He is hyper aware of his surroundings, almost nervous at times. I find this to be odd because his breeder is superb and he had every experience, repeatedly, you'd want a baby parrot to have. Frankly, I think he's intimidated by my other birds. They are very sassy. He is a good flyer and has begun talking more, but only in a whisper.

If a BTM is your dream bird, then you'll work with the individual quirks, IMO. Expecting any birds to be good with kids or share generalized species traits is a crapshoot. You'll have to accept either bird as they are. Neither will be perfect, but one could fit your home perfectly. Does that make sense?

IME, B&Gs accept multiple people better, generally (the dreaded word), and are more forgiving. However, I think it will be harder and harder to find BTMs, thanks to the stupid ESA. Many longtime breeders are no longer breeding them due to the restrictions. And there are only 250 left in the wild.

By and large, the vast majority of hormonally aggressive macaws I've known or worked with have been male. Yes, some females can be aggressive, but I don't think that's the norm. And Petey is the most aggressive bird I've EVER seen, and I've worked with imported breeding birds. Despite that, I recommend the BTM as that sounds like your dream. And don't judge that bird by his plumage now. A healthy BTM is a metallic teal. There's nothing like them in person. I can't believe people mistake them for B&Gs! Here's Harry. He looks better in person.
image.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Should you even be getting a macaw if you have little kids?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Are we sure they are male/female?
I can't tell you how many I have adopted that have been wrong.... lol!

Yes. The male is DNA’d and I trust that since the girl use to work for the same vet that I go too.

The female is for sure a female, because she has laid an egg.

I’m working on the other questions

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I always heard that males can be a very hormonal, aggressive & territorial when they hit that age, and this male is only 5. I've heard females can generally be easier to deal with. I know that this varies from bird to bird, but it is something that I hear a lot that is consistent with the personality generalizations
......he he, and I have to voice my opinion to be the opposite. I own two female macaws and I keep telling my husband they are so fickle comparing to my males. It all boils down to personality & environment. Either way you will have a great champion.
P.S. I found myself in the same situation about 5-6 years ago, having to choose between 2 birds-I adopted 2 birds-see my profile pic-lol

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I know nothing about macaws but I see sadness in the stance and face of the one in the cage. The one in the car looks very happy. Please consider making a sad bird happy.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Perhaps. But that isn’t the case with this one :)

These photos were taken months ago. So he must have been agitated by something else or was having an off day.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I just have a feeling. Psychically I have been 90% right. You don't have to believe me.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Good luck to you in whatever choice you make. I have a male and a female B&G. My female can be a diva and my male is an entertainer. Together they're double trouble lol
One of them will have that special something you're looking for and catch your attention. Follow your heart.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
:)

I know everything there is to know about the blue throat. She finished weaning him and raised him from then on. He is super attached to her but will step up readily for anyone else outside of his comfort zone, so this weekend I will be meeting him at his house, on his terms and see how things go.

Oh and yes, he can open his cage and everything else around him, which, I’ll admit, does make me nervous. She has come home to him out of his cage and had let her other birds out too

I know absolutely nothing about the blue and gold. She hasn’t answered majority of my questions yet. The only thing I know about her is she came from a situation where another bird was plucking her. The lady took her home, and said she has begun growing her feathers back. I know a few things she likes, but not sure what pellets she is on. I know the lady was working on harness training her, but hasn’t been successful. And I know she has laid 1 egg but none since that one (not sure how long ago that was)
I have tons of pictures of the blue throat but only the 2 of the blue and gold. I meet them both this weekend

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
From the picture, I think the B&G has some follicle damage, so if that's accurate, she won't feather in. But that's cosmetic. Pick the one that picks you and gives you butterflies.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe you will feel which bird is meant to come home with you after you meet them both.

It was funny when I was going to see all the baby B&G’s I could choose from (8 or 9 in total)....I was instantly drawn to Burt for no particular reason I could pick.
Each time I went the babies were in different places in their room but for some reason each time Burt was the one I was drawn to.
The breeder told me after I finally made my choice and he marked my name on Burt’s DNA and record sheet that he was the only bird I had really been drawn to each visit. Lol I guess he was just meant to be my boy!
I interacted with every bird there but just kept going back to Burt without even knowing he was the same sweetie I was most interested in each visit.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
780C3F9D-2C9F-40E8-84FC-34D60F9CDBE0.png 5D12A3D9-2802-438A-91AD-0912F3AF1070.png

I haven’t received any further info on the female. No pictures, no answers to my questions or anything :(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's such a handsome guy. I love his cheeky expression in the 2nd photo. It's a shame they are rehoming him. He looks happy there.