• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Okay so I need your help...

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm in kind of a weird situation.

There are 2 macaws that both need homes (no we are not taking both)
They are both up for adoption (though not through my rescue)
Both are around 5-6 years old.
Both come with all of their toys, cage, ect.

One is a female blue and gold. She was rescued from a situation where another bird was plucking her, but her feathers are starting to grow back. I'm told she is sweet but shy, which is understandable. The lady that has her up for adoption has had her for less than a year. She's not completely harness trained. I don't know this lady but she has family nearby and will be visiting for memorial day weekend. She said she could bring the blue & gold if I wanted to meet her. Said she was friendly, but a little shy.

The other is a male blue throat macaw (yes one of my dream birds.) He's been with the same lady for the last 5 years (I know her very well.) He also plucks too, but has been vetted and they believe it is stress (he got out of the house and got scared when he was younger) He is harness trained now. I can pick him up as early as Sunday if I wanted to. The girl said he is attached to her at the hip, and will let others hold him, but noone else is allowed to touch him in any other way.

The price is not the concern here, its around the same for both.

My question is, for a first time macaw owner, what would be the better choice? I don't know the personality differences between the two enough to make a decision. I've heard blue and golds can be very food motivated in terms of training, but how are the females normally? And are male blue throats able to become aggressive when they get older? What are your thoughts/opinions on this?

Yes, I still have Toby. Yes he is still in love with my mother in law. Yes she will be adopting him. She turned in her adoption application and I will be attending a class with her this Sunday. All that will be left after that is the home visit and then moving Toby to her house. They are both in love with each other. So I'm off to find another companion, lol. Oh & he stepped up for her:meh:

We will be going out of town this weekend and I plan on visiting a pet store (I can't help it) that has baby birds all over the place (I just want my baby fix:smuggrin:)

I trust your advice over any others, which is why I'm coming here before making a huge decision like this. Yes we have the room and the funds to take care of a macaw. That's not the issue. I guess the issue comes down to male or female & I have no idea which way to go. I can post pictures if any of you would like to see:xflove:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A first time macaw owner is a lifelong macaw owner. Both will change in personality as they age. Pick the macaw that you want for your lifetime.

I have almost never adopted a bird that liked me on day one.... They made me jump through months of hoops. ;)

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
A first time macaw owner is a lifelong macaw owner. Both will change in personality as they age. Pick the macaw that you want for your lifetime.

I have almost never adopted a bird that liked me on day one.... They made me jump through months of hoops. ;)
I always heard that males can be a very hormonal, aggressive & territorial when they hit that age, and this male is only 5. I've heard females can generally be easier to deal with. I know that this varies from bird to bird, but it is something that I hear a lot that is consistent with the personality generalizations

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're both beautiful!! What gorgeous macs.

If your dream bird is a blue throat, go for the blue throat. It's worth it to meet both of them to see what they're Like, but as Sarah said they're going to be different once they get home; Taco sure was. They'll make you work for their trust.

Male macs can definitely pack a punch during hormone season, but from what I've heard so can females, and on top of that you may have to deal with eggs. So it depends on which you'd rather deal with.

A blue and gold was always my dream bird, and bringing home Taco was one of the happiest days of my life. We've had our ups and downs, and hormone season was agony, but I don't regret a second. I adore him.

Whatever the decision you make, I look forward to hearing all about your beautiful new addition! Good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My experience with macaws is very limited but as was said, you should get the bird that speaks to your heart the most. :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I cannot speak about the Blue throat cause I have never had one.I have a male and a female B&G that are brother and sister from different clutch's.Baby is 20 and Big Guy is 19. Baby has been laying one or two clutch's of 2 or 3 eggs every year for probably 8 years now.They are NOT Fertile as each has their own cage and are in separate rooms. She seems to get more aggressive towards anyone and everything the older she gets! Big guy on the other hand (knock on wood) has never shown any kind of hormonal changes.SO my thought is-if the blue throat is your dream bird-go for it! :btm:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Hmm. Toughie. I have heard of extremely aggressive male blue and golds. I think there's one here - Petey? For myself, I'd go with the female, unless you meet the blue throat and you really connect with him. (I've had a mean rooster in the past, and I always think back to him when I consider large male birds... My own little case of PTSD!) I think you should get the one that it kills you to walk away from.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I think Petey is owned by @aooratrix. But Petey is around other female macaws, which wouldn't be your scenario, but you might want to ask about behavior.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I think Petey is owned by @aooratrix. But Petey is around other female macaws, which wouldn't be your scenario, but you might want to ask about behavior.
No we deff don't have any other female macaws in the house. However, the aggression factor worries me in the sense that I do have young children and I don't want an aggressive/hormonal macaw flying after my kids. (since i know some can go after blood)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
There are a couple here with blue throats, but I'm not sure who they are. Aootrix may have one. I used to want a blue throat, but was gently dissuaded when I voiced a similar concern - what I was told that blue throats aren't as tolerant of physical interaction as some of the other large macaws (blue and golds, green wings (what I have), and red fronts) when they're mature. I heard a similar thought from 2 different people. That concerned me because I have children as well. I do think that blue and golds tend to do well in families. But you have to go with your heart. I think loving the bird is the primary concern, and everything else can work out with some consideration and planning.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
There are a couple here with blue throats, but I'm not sure who they are. Aootrix may have one. I used to want a blue throat, but was gently dissuaded when I voiced a similar concern - what I was told that blue throats aren't as tolerant of physical interaction as some of the other large macaws (blue and golds, green wings (what I have), and red fronts) when they're mature. I heard a similar thought from 2 different people. That concerned me because I have children as well. I do think that blue and golds tend to do well in families. But you have to go with your heart. I think loving the bird is the primary concern, and everything else can work out with some consideration and planning.
I had asked a respected and well known breeder what she recommended in terms of them as they mature. She said female greenwings. That she stopped breeding blue throats because so many people said that they were whiny as they got older & not easy to deal with. However, I do not want a greenwing (just personal preference) I'm all for any of the other macaws except for scarletts and greenwings. (again, just personal preference)

Last edited:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Then you're torn between what you want to do, and what you think you should do... Blue and golds are just as beautiful as blue throats (more so, in my opinion). Has the blue and gold ever been around children? What I'd really want to avoid is a bird who's been around children and has already shown bad behavior around them or a dislike for them. I'd sooner choose a bird who had no experience with children than one who's had a bad experience. Good luck choosing...

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
The blue and gold has. I’m not sure about the blue throat

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I personally would go for the female because the male seems really attached to his current owner. And yes, male birds can be aggressive and territorial.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I personally would go for the female because the male seems really attached to his current owner. And yes, male birds can be aggressive and territorial.
That was one of the things I was worried about. The female blue and gold has been through 2 homes already and is not attached to anyone. That gives me a little more room to gain her trust.

The male being so attached to her throws me off. What if I bring him home and he is impossible to deal with because I took him away from his person along with hormonal aggression setting in as he gets older

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Can you meet them beforehand? I feel like that would be a better way of determining who might be a better fit. Otherwise, it would be who would you rather spend your life with? I know there is a female B&G (I think her name is Koko) who can be aggressive. I knew a young (~5-10ish? years old from what I was told) B&G female, Ellie May, who was very aggressive, especially when she laid eggs.

My macaw is male and older so I can't say much either way about hormones, Sam Axe doesn't really seem to have hormonal changes, you'll be in for hormones either way with those two. Which ever you choose will be a lucky birdie! :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Let's put another spin on it. ;)

Are we sure they are male/female?
I can't tell you how many I have adopted that have been wrong.... lol!

If you are hesitant about a large macaw, I would go with the BG. Not male/female but BT seem quite mechanical and quicker. I've not had any real experience but they seem more like a nippy high strung Scarlets to me.

@aooratrix does have Harry and he also has Petey. ;) He will chime in and say go female but hopefully will give more details about Harry.

Start getting questions together.

Does the bird know their name? What does the bird eat? Favorite foods? Unfavorite foods? Treats? What is the birds daily routine like? What times does he get fed? What are wake up and bed times? Harness trained? Flighted? How does he prefer showers? How? What words/saying does he use? Is he scared of anything? Does he have favorite games or songs? Does he like the TV or radio during the day? What are his favorite toys? Has he ever been sick? How does he gets his nails trimmed? Does the owner know the history before them? Is there avet that can be contacted for records? Does he have a certain item that he feels is his that you could bring along? What are their favorite things about the bird. What are their dislikes? Why are they rehomeing this bird?