• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh the noise!

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
My Quaker Skittles has been so noisy lately and it's getting worse! I read that foraging toys help so I bought her a huge toy that she plays with at times but it seems no matter what I do she is determined to scream and scream and scream! I had get on my shoulder yesterday when she was being good and quiet then suddenly she screamed so loud it literally made my ear start ringing! I couldn't believe how painful it was! I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING but I'm still doing something wrong because it's getting worse and not better! HELP ME PLEASE!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It might just be hormones. Or it might be something inconspicuous to you that is bothering her. Is anything different in the house? A new clock, vase, cabinet, pic etc? Is there maybe something in the window that is scaring her (another bird/a landcaper/a garbagetruck etc) ?

Are you stressed or having a hard time with something (you don't have to answer)? They truly pick up on the slightest change in our emotions and energy. I can not stress this enough! All they want is for us to be happy and calm.

Completely ignore the loudness. I'm sure you've already heard that but it's so important. That's what other birds in flocks do when there's no real danger. They ignore. Don't look, flinch, or anything. If you're in another room when she's loud do not go near and look at her. That's about all I got right now. Make sure to take a good hard look at her surroundings to see if anything is bothering her first though

Last edited:

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Look around closely for 'bugs' in the room. Watch closely where your bird looks he might be trying to tell you to kill it. They maybe warning calls warning the flock of appearent danger.
Sounds weird, I know, but Farlie started SCREAMING on day for no apparent reason. Same thing the second day. On the third day, I paid more closer attention to him and tried to look where he was looking. Guess what? He was warning me, (The flock), of apparent danger cuz a tiny weeny little spider was crawling accorss the ceiling.
When I grabbed the flyswatter to kill it, Farlie went running at top speed up into his cage and up into bed where he bent down real low to his belley to watch while squaking real quietly.
Funniest thing I ever saw.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:greet7:
Buddy's been really noisy this year's spring. He's been yelling a bunch since it warmed up over the past few weeks.

I started a calling thing w/ him his first year here. I whistle a special whistle. He knows it's me. I read that they do this in flock families. Like @Farlie mentioned. I do this even when I walk to the mailbox. (My neighbors must think I'm absolutely insane). Honestly I don't care, it can settle Buddy down when he's having a screaming fit, when he can't see me like when I go to the mailbox, or th bathroom. Anywhere where his eyes can't see me. I've also done it when he has done to me what Skittles did to you... Shoulder screaming. I

Now it doesn't work always work but 50-75 % is better than 0%
:nicetalkin2u:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Thanks for all the advice! I have been doing better to ignore her. I think I've been rewarding her bad behavior...she's very spoiled. I don't like hearing her scream because it kills my ears but also worry that she's upset about something. She does get upset with my dogs when they are noisy and play too loud so she will sqwuak and yell at them to BE QUIET and BE NICE! LOL she will also say SETTLE DOWN! She pulled my hair one day when I was cleaning her cage and I said STOP DOING THAT! Her response was STOP SCREAMING! our house can be very loud so looking back on that makes me stop and think we need to calm down just likes she tells us lol also we have a ton of birds outside and sometimes I think she calls at them. Lately we have been letting her spend a lot of time outside and sitting in the windows with them open. She absolutely loves it and will say Come on! as I'm walking her to the window then once I put her there she says YAAAAY! I'm noticing that making these changes had helped a great deal! She's definitely talking more and more interactive. Still screaming and biting me but much less than she was so YAAAAY! LOL

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for all the advice! I have been doing better to ignore her. I think I've been rewarding her bad behavior...she's very spoiled. I don't like hearing her scream because it kills my ears but also worry that she's upset about something. She does get upset with my dogs when they are noisy and play too loud so she will sqwuak and yell at them to BE QUIET and BE NICE! LOL she will also say SETTLE DOWN! She pulled my hair one day when I was cleaning her cage and I said STOP DOING THAT! Her response was STOP SCREAMING! our house can be very loud so looking back on that makes me stop and think we need to calm down just likes she tells us lol also we have a ton of birds outside and sometimes I think she calls at them. Lately we have been letting her spend a lot of time outside and sitting in the windows with them open. She absolutely loves it and will say Come on! as I'm walking her to the window then once I put her there she says YAAAAY! I'm noticing that making these changes had helped a great deal! She's definitely talking more and more interactive. Still screaming and biting me but much less than she was so YAAAAY! LOL
Yay!!! I'm so glad things have gotten better!

We need some pics or videos or your little darling! I just love Quakers :xflove:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I was doing the same thing w/ Buddy. Every time I left the room he'd scream & I rush back to my seat. Now I reward the quiet & tell him when I do that's what it's for. Been going better now. Funny how big of a deal a simple pumpkin seed or dry egg noodle can be to them & help us spoil them & make them a "Good birdy!" .

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm no help! I've only done pics & files (I believe)