• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh how I miss my reebird

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0153.JPG IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0181.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_1046.JPG

There are so many more pictures. So many things I want to do with him. I miss him so much. He was the sweetest thing, begged for scritches, would fly to the floor and waddle to come find me. I keep asking myself what I could've done to prevent it. But there is no answer. There's the biggest possibility that he came to me like that. I keep thinking, should I have not purchased a breeder bird? But Tuki is a breeder bird and is amazing. Should I have not brought Diego home? Things seemed to have started when she came, but the blockage could've already been there. I always made sure no candles were lit, no one that smelled like smoke was allowed in the house, no pots or pans with teflon, no harsh cleaning supplies, no lotions until after they went to bed, no perfumes until I was out of the house, no hair dryers, etc. I was so cautious and still am. I made sure he had a good diet, fresh veggies even though I didn't always stick to my routine with them. I loved Rio and gave him everything I knew that I could. As much as he needed the surgery, I was selfish in thinking, if I hadn't done the surgery, he would have at least had Christmas with us. But he's no longer suffering, he's no longer in pain. It has been so difficult when people ask me about Rio. I lie and say I'm fine. I find other things to occupy my mind. I do more research on stuff for my other two, I do research daily on different species, I check Craigslist in case of any that need homes that I can share. I check rescues daily to share those in need. I try and read, play games, play with my kids. But I always end up cuddling with my dogs and thinking about Rio. It always comes down to that no matter how hard I try. I knew that when I picked up his ashes that it would be like loosing him all over again. So I tried to keep my mind clear until I get the phone call. Then my grandma got pneumonia and bronchitis. My husbands grandad had a stroke and has been extremely sick every since. There's drafts in the house, we need a roof. There's leaks under the house. Things outside need to be fixed. And all I can think about is how much better things would be if I had Rio to snuggle with me at night. Diego will sometimes cuddle with me, but she's not Rio. I need a snuggler. Yes he bit, yes he was cranky, yes he was the most aggravating little brat ever. Yes he screamed. Loudly. But all the snuggles made everything worth while. A piece of me died that day with Rio. My heart is broken. Nothing makes it better. 2016 has been the toughest year yet. I'm scared to take my animals to the vet until after the new year for fear of something else. I need things to get better. I need Rio. It's not fair. He was taken way too soon. I'm sorry this is so long. But I needed to get it off my chest. I've been trying to hold it in because I don't like breaking down. People just don't understand. They never do. But you guys do. You all will. And for that I am forever grateful that I found this site. My bird family. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have everyone's support through this entire situation. Goodbye Rio. Thank you for being my best friend if only for a few months. Thank you for showing me a love I never knew until you. Fly free baby, I'll see you again someday. Thank you.:(:crycry::sorrow:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug: What a beautiful bond you had with your baby. Beautiful pictures, too. So much love.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I understand. I miss Sunny everyday. And still cry over him. Losing a heart bird really is like losing a piece of your heart. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of Rio. I plan to make a photo album of Sunny. Maybe you can do the same? I thought it would be a nice keepsake.

:sadhug2:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am so sorry fo your loss.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I understand. I miss Sunny everyday. And still cry over him. Losing a heart bird really is like losing a piece of your heart. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of Rio. I plan to make a photo album of Sunny. Maybe you can do the same? I thought it would be a nice keepsake.

I plan on it. I had a few feathers from his molt before he passed that I want to add in there with the pictures. I've lost lots of pets over the years, but nothing has hurt quite like this

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
so very sorry for your loss

Heather F

:sorrow: I'm so sorry.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
It's going to take time for the pain to go away. I lost Nerd just before Xmas of 2009 and now I can mostly think of the happy times together. I have Dobby now, he's not Nerd but he's a naughty boy and happy and that makes me happy. Hang in there and take the time you need:hug8:

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
My other two scream and make me happy...but it's so empty without him. It's quiet when it's loud. It's a feeling I don't like :(

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He was your heart bird, it'll take time. Nerd was mine and was with me 31 years, he left a big hole in my heart that Lurch and now Dobby help fill.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's so heartbreaking to loose such a special friend. You're right about how hard it is to find people who understand, and I'm glad you have AA.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sorrow:

Those pictures are so sweet!!!!
I'm sorry you lost Rio but it was not your fault.
You did everything for him & he for you. Kept him safe & got him the medical care he needed.
Its likely he had the blockage...did you ever find out what it was?
Life is not fair & it seems the only ones who don't judge & are true are these sweet creatures that rely on us for there care. They give us so much in return that its very hard to lose them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
We pick up Rios ashes tomorrow. I know I'm gonna be a mess :(

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
This is the worst pain. Losing one is like losing a piece of your own heart.

We do understand.