• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh hai!

CMiller89

Moving in
Hello!

I'm a long time lurker finally deciding to crawl out from under my rock and make myself known!
My family will soon have a feathered friend and I absolutely love the wealth of information here and felt it was time for me to actually register!

I have been researching pet birds for 2+ years now and my family has decided on a GCC as our first bird. We are pet professionals and own a grooming salon in Jacksonville, FL. We are lucky in that our whole family(including my 4yo daughter, but only until VPK starts this fall) goes to the shop every day we are open. Our plan is to have a second cage and play stand(up high) for the bird to be with us at work. We also have a 2 year old Standard Schnauzer. I have been taking her to the very few pet stores that carry birds in my area so she can get used to them. One had an African Grey out on a stand, so my dog was able to really see a parrot. Man, that Grey REALLY wanted to preen my girl's beard lol! Since my daughter is growing up around animals, she is already very gentle and respectful. We attended a bird expo so I could show my daughter all the different birds and she could understand how loud they can be. A breeder allowed her to pet the back of a young cockatiel he had and he was very impressed by how gentle she was for how young she is.

We have been looking around at breeders in the area and hoping to put a deposit down very soon!

Anyway, thank you and look forward to learning even more!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello::welave:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welcome2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:hello:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome!

Remember, we'll want to see pics when your new feathered friend comes home...;) :)

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
:hello1::welcome2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

CMiller89

Moving in
Well we picked up our new baby today! Most likely a he according to the breeder but who knows! Acclimated to his new cage pretty quick and already eating. Loves his head and neck scratches too. Seriously, I think our dog is way more stressed than him!

I've included photos!

20170522_154059.jpg 20170522_154104.jpg

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Talk to the conure a lot, be in the room with him/her a lot, speak gently and give lots of compliments. Don't yell at each other or make loud noises and make him feel as comfortable as possible. Don't push him to spending time with you unless he wants to. He is probably stressed it will take time for him to fully trust you. Its good that he lets you pet him already. Keep at it and remember, birds are not domesticated animals like dogs, and they need a bit more TLC.

Is that bird kibble? That's good. Please don't feed a seed diet it's just not as healthy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie!

CMiller89

Moving in
Talk to the conure a lot, be in the room with him/her a lot, speak gently and give lots of compliments. Don't yell at each other or make loud noises and make him feel as comfortable as possible. Don't push him to spending time with you unless he wants to. He is probably stressed it will take time for him to fully trust you. Its good that he lets you pet him already. Keep at it and remember, birds are not domesticated animals like dogs, and they need a bit more TLC.

Is that bird kibble? That's good. Please don't feed a seed diet it's just not as healthy.
Thank you for the info!

We are speaking to him a lot and only took him out to allow my daughter to pet his head then back in with lots of soft verbal positive reinforcement. He has the diet he was on plus a nutriberry to transition him slowly.
We lucked out getting him from a breeder with her full flock in the living space so he is already used to noises, dogs, and kids but we are taking it slow. Very sweet boy!

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
There's nothing wrong with letting him out. Keep him near his cage at first and don't force him onto your hand unless he wants to. Eventually he will learn what "step up" means and will do it on command (most parrots learn to do this). Take it slow. He wants to be your friend as much as you do his. You are however several hundred times his weight and if the tables were turned that would make you uneasy at first too :)

Try eating next to his cage when he eats and tell him he is a good boy in a very sweet voice for every positive thing he does (eating, drinking, cleaning himself, etc)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

CMiller89

Moving in
There's nothing wrong with letting him out. Keep him near his cage at first and don't force him onto your hand unless he wants to. Eventually he will learn what "step up" means and will do it on command (most parrots learn to do this). Take it slow. He wants to be your friend as much as you do his. You are however several hundred times his weight and if the tables were turned that would make you uneasy at first too :)

Try eating next to his cage when he eats and tell him he is a good boy in a very sweet voice for every positive thing he does (eating, drinking, cleaning himself, etc)
I'm glad for the clarification on whether he can come out or not. Some videos I've watched said to leave the bird in the cage for a few days. This bird doesnt seem like that type of fella lol

He really is just so sweet!

Thank you again for the information! I greatly appreciate it!

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
If the bird is noticeably uncomfortable and wary of people then for sure it should hang out in peace in its home for a few days but if the bird is actively seeking your companionship it seems to me that it would be more stressful to deny him that.

JM2C

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Congrats on your adorable conure and welcome to AA :D