• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh God, it FLIES! Lucky update

LesBirdman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leslie Wessling
So with moulting comes new flight feathers which is great for lucky. When I got her she was clipped on one wing so I have always had to be careful with her.

I was worried that the single wing clip would also have discouraged her from trying to fly seeing as it caused her to spiral out of control whenever she tried to stabilise herself when falling.

She spends most of her training sessions now 'coming', (different to step-up in that I don't necessarily go to her, instead I get her to come to me.) where I have managed to get her to reliably hop-flap about 30cm from perch to my finger at the same height or 40cm if my finger is below perch height. I also like to reinforce 'perch' and 'cage' as well as 'shoulder', the latter so she learns to distinguish between coming to my ready hand and coming to my shoulder when I'm less prepared.

Lucky's progress is accelerating nicely and she has switched back to angel mode, at least for the time being, maybe she feels bad for taking a chunk out of the end of my thumb for reasons I can't figure on :)

I built her a new, bigger play stand with a bit more altitude and plenty of new challenges to help encourage her to utilise and practice flying as well as some more difficult climbing to make her think about how she chooses to get around. She was nervous with it at first but it seems to be a hit now. I'm going to convert one of the old perches to a flight perch - a simple upright with a lateral perch on it - so that I can take her out into the hallway for longer distance flight training when she is more confident.

Meanwhile I have to make sure if she is out side of her cage she is under strict supervision now that she likes to stretch her wings :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad things are going well. :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That's wonderful news!!

LesBirdman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leslie Wessling
She's back to devil mode but I think I found a hack for it haha, a good misting calms her down and if she gets really into it then I take her into the shower to splash about some, after which she seems to calm righ down while she dries off and then returns to her normal bubbly flying around self for the rest of the day.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Sounds like she likes her 'spa days'! Glad you found something to help calm her.