• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

oh dear we are in the "other" catagory again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Thank you very much for providing us with a wealth of information on this incredible and highly unique parrot species, Kimba. I think I speak for all people here when I say that your work is very compelling for both the prospective Vasa owner and parrot lover alike. :AArocks: :yourock:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mercedez...."Many breeders recommend pairing a female up with more than one male, it has proven to be easier on the males during the breeding season, and usually become more prolific."

That is how it should be!!!!!!! In the wild, one female to many males.
I get upset because vasa's do need animal protein on the account of the fact that they occasionally hunt in the wild, they do NOT do well on a seed or pellet diet. Their behavior is very different than other parrots. Many baby vasa's are deficient in protein when giving a cbc when their new owners take them for their wellness exam. And 3 of the breeders that I know of in the US, do NOT breed according to their wild habits, they pair them up. This leads to unpredictable behavior. I'll give the link to my research...it's too long to post.

grab a cup of coffee for this!
but it should answer some questions, when you think about how breeders typical function....
Vasa Life - Breeding System
Vasa Life - Breeding Behavior
Thats so sad.

So have you tried feeding Eve like mealworms, and bugs? If I ever got a vasa, I wouldnt feel comfortable feeding them cow,pig,or poultry, but maybe a unfrozen thawed mouse(I wonder what they'd do witht he whole mouse if I gave a vasa one..would they know what to do?), or meal worms perhaps.

I'd like to study the Vasa parrot in their natural habitat before commiting to one.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Thats so sad.

So have you tried feeding Eve like mealworms, and bugs? If I ever got a vasa, I wouldnt feel comfortable feeding them cow,pig,or poultry, but maybe a unfrozen thawed mouse(I wonder what they'd do witht he whole mouse if I gave a vasa one..would they know what to do?), or meal worms perhaps.

I'd like to study the Vasa parrot in their natural habitat before commiting to one.

eve gets fish and turkey, with some chicken as well. I don't trust the cleanliness of bugs, I used to work in pet stores, and I know how dirty the bugs are kept. I would bring home mites and bacteria, that I will not do. And I believe that in captivity, I should stay away from raw animal proteins, and I'm not about to cook a mouse, lol.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
WOW!:omg:
This is really fascinating!
Love the information you are giving us and the pictures!
How do the inter react with your other birds...saw the picture of the Zon/Vessa ...looks like an attacking Zon but could be just a "playing" shot also...
Could you give more feed back on that...Thank you...:hug8:

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
In the second set of photos I loved the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th!!!! Oh my what a wealth of information. I have enjoyed reading about Vasa's! Thanks :)

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
the photo of poe and eve was actualy the beginning of a spat. For some reason Poe thinks she can just land EXACTLY on the spot that Eve is sitting. Bully.

Vasa's by nature are very accepting of other birds. They do not mate bond, nor are they the lest bit territorial. In a nut shell they think everyone should just get along. Eve can see a new bird for the first time and have no problem sitting next to it. And he has. the typical issues we see with birds with respects to territory and "dominance" simply do not exist with vasa's. They do not care.

The hard part is that vasa's have a hard time with the body language of other species of parrots. Their body language is very different from other parrots. For example....Vasa's raise their foot to show that they would like to play. But for Poe an amazon, a raised foot means "back up your in my space" It's not hard to see what happens next. :hug8::shake: :confused::confused::confused:

So over time Eve has learned amazon speak, and does not to to play at the sight of a raised foot.

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Thank you for All About Eve (wasn't that a movie? LOL). That was fascinating. I met a pair once and they did seem very .....unparrot-like ... hard to describe but they were awesome. Thanks again for info - Now I want one. HaHa.

Status
Not open for further replies.