• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Offspring Mutations

Muralou

Moving in
Real Name
Hazel
Hello,

I was wondering if I were to allow my two lovebird eggs to hatch and the parents look like this (I will attach some pictures of them) what are the possible outcomes for the chicks to look like. Can their colours be mixed together or will one look like mom and one look like dad? Just curious

Pictures:
Gyazo - 1ab07f44fde5a9087122ebdd82dd5a59.png
Gyazo - d0de00fc7ad9baa50604b2ac670629da.png
Gyazo - 8f153ee37cfc6d2a3eb8dfd0d1daabc6.png

Thanks
I am sorry to add to your post but I am new here and can't see where to start a new post and being as my question is the same!!!
The black face is mail
The peach face is Femail
Thank you. Interested to see what people think the out come of these two IMG_20170224_144739.jpg might be.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! You have a female peach faced lovebird, and a male black masked lovebird. The peach faced lovebird does not have any visual mutations, but may be split to one or more mutations. The black masked lovebird is a blue mutation, and may also be split to one or more mutations. They are separate species. If they do breed, the offspring will be sterile hybrids. Since the offspring will be hybrids, and I am not sure of any splits that the parents may have, it is difficult to say what the offspring will look like.

Muralou

Moving in
Real Name
Hazel
Thank you for moving my post to a new thread. I will find my way around soon I hope.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You are welcome.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Just a couple of notes. Sorry if it's mostly off topic.

It is generally not a good idea to intentionally breed hybrid birds, as it can cause health issues in the babies.

Secondly, their cage is rather bare. You really do need to give them some toys to keep them active and not bored. The dowel perches also aren't ideal, as it can create issues with their feet. Natural branch perches are a better idea. Just make sure the branches are non toxic.

Thirdly, it looks like the way you've positioned your food and water bowls is causing them to be pooped in. This is obviously not healthy. Can you move them higher up? There is also way too much food in there. To avoid bug infestations and to make sure they aren't just pigging out on seeds (I assume there are pellets in that, but I can't tell; if not, there should be), you should be limiting what is in there to a few tablespoons. Just a bit more than they'd eat in a day.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh, also, your birds are beautiful. I really love that particular mutation in Leo.

Muralou

Moving in
Real Name
Hazel
Just a couple of notes. Sorry if it's mostly off topic.

It is generally not a good idea to intentionally breed hybrid birds, as it can cause health issues in the babies.

Secondly, their cage is rather bare. You really do need to give them some toys to keep them active and not bored. The dowel perches also aren't ideal, as it can create issues with their feet. Natural branch perches are a better idea. Just make sure the branches are non toxic.

Thirdly, it looks like the way you've positioned your food and water bowls is causing them to be pooped in. This is obviously not healthy. Can you move them higher up? There is also way too much food in there. To avoid bug infestations and to make sure they aren't just pigging out on seeds (I assume there are pellets in that, but I can't tell; if not, there should be), you should be limiting what is in there to a few tablespoons. Just a bit more than they'd eat in a day.
Thank you for your input. I had no Intention of putting these two together but they each lost there partner. Both pears had the same cage as the one in the picture with rope perches and a few toys. When introducing Poppy to leo I put both seed pots on so no scwobbaling over food. But to my surprise that same night they mated . So now there is just one seed pot . I agree about the perches but while Poppy is nesting I don't want to disturb them. So far Poppy has 1 egg and untill I check in the morning I don't know about a 2nd.
Thank you again.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Poor babies. It's good they get along. You might like to invest in dummy eggs so you're not overrun with babies.

Muralou

Moving in
Real Name
Hazel
Poor babies. It's good they get along. You might like to invest in dummy eggs so you're not overrun with babies.
When Poppy and Coco had eggs they was all clear. Then Poppy was on her own for a long while untill now. So may be any eggs they have might be the same.
IF that are ok at least I have a cage for them. That's as far as I have thought about it. I didn't expect Leo and Poppy to get on so well and so quickly.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Maybe, but of course, lovebirds will try and breed sometimes multiple times a year. That's a lot of baby birds for you to deal with if they end up being fertile. Many in that situation abort the eggs as they are laid, or replace with dummy eggs. That way they can still lay, but you don't have to deal with the fallout.

Muralou

Moving in
Real Name
Hazel
Maybe, but of course, lovebirds will try and breed sometimes multiple times a year. That's a lot of baby birds for you to deal with if they end up being fertile. Many in that situation abort the eggs as they are laid, or replace with dummy eggs. That way they can still lay, but you don't have to deal with the fallout.
Thank you for your advice. I don't really have intentions to breed birds they was bought for me as I love there beuty but I guess they have other planes now they have new partners I will have to see what happens before I start panakin lol

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
they are very pretty..

Mango+Mushi

Meeting neighbors
I am sorry to add to your post but I am new here and can't see where to start a new post and being as my question is the same!!!
The black face is mail
The peach face is Femail
Thank you. Interested to see what people think the out come of these two View attachment 246457 might be.
No it's fine :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica