• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd Hawkhead behaviors? Or has someone else experienced this with theirs?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Owning a Hawkheaded parrot is an experience that I wouldnt trade for the world. You certainly share the best of times and the worse of times. My question to Hawkhead owners is - Gimby, my girl, gets so rambuctious preening herself that she does not overpreen by any means BUT she'll start hissing as she preens, every now and then not each and every time. For example if she's out for an hour she'll of hissed as she preens within that hour about 6-10x's. Any body elses HH do that?

Also, if you make to much eye contact without blinking, even as your talking sweetly she starts pinning then you have to blink but once that ring turns that thick, goldish color and stays that way calmly without making it obvious you need to walk away and pronto. Remove all eye contact for awhile till she chills or get attacked. YOU MUST BLINK when speaking to Gimby lol. I dont blink any more or less then any one else. Believe me I've been forced to pay attention to it thanks to Gimby.

Any body else experience this? Or is this all in the way I raised her?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
No experience here but please post Some pictures if you want! Hawkheads are gorgeous!
The blinking thing could have to do with that parrots are prey animals, we are predators concerning our eyes, and if we look them in the eye that could make them uncomfortable.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
No experience here but please post Some pictures if you want! Hawkheads are gorgeous!
The blinking thing could have to do with that parrots are prey animals, we are predators concerning our eyes, and if we look them in the eye that could make them uncomfortable.
She mustnt like my blue eyes haha jk. On a serious note, I have wondered about the predator thing myself. Sometimes to when I look at her she reverts back to "baby stage" where only the top half of her "fan" I guess we will call it, goes up, she makes baby noises, and bats her wings. I did handfeed her and raise her.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Shes a bit confused I think or something but she is so intelligent. Pick up words very fast. Speaks very well. She is very sensitive to moods. I think her intelligence is a big factor in this.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That would be too early for a macaw but I have no idea for your girl.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I don't own own but it sounds sexy to me. ;)

How old?
I actually just saw the newest spring article and am going to go home and "unspring" her cage. The last thing I want is a wild Gimby she is a terror and will not stop once shes mad. Now with mom I think shes doing the sexy cuz she'll like her one minute then the next she is an enemny and Gimby is spitting fire, hissing, fan up, tail flared but then again that is when I am around only other than that shes sweet as pie to mom. Hmmmm ok you may be getting my mind working here MacawNutz ..