• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd Couple Plucking Issue

Phlox

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I have two bonded birds that are a strange couple — a 23 year old ringneck dove and his 3 year old budgie girlfriend. In almost all ways they get along incredibly well; they sleep together, share food, never bicker but there’s one issue. The budgie has taken to over preening the back of the dove’s head and he’s bald. She pulls out new feathers as soon as they come in. She hasn’t hurt him at all but it is a bit worrisome.

I’d rather not separate them since they are so attached. I’ve tried distracting her with preening toys, food puzzles, using lots of small branches to chew but nothing has helped.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just a thought, but if this were me and my birds, I would now split them after the toys failed. I would house them separately but allow them the same out of cage time to play during the day where they can be monitored.

Maybe some other members have some other ideas.
I hope you can find a solution ❤

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Feather plucking is ultimately harmless as long as they do not break the skin so if you can deal with a funny looking dove the benefits of the birds having each other's companionship outweighs the damage.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe you could bring this up with your avian vet? It´s worth getting their opinion :)