• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd behaviour.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. My caiques are as friendly as can be. I have them indoors and put them in their outside cage for a few hours a day with no problem. They step up to be brought inside. The last couple of times the young one has started to shake and won't come near me to come inside and the older one has started to act odd too. Yesterday the older one attacked my hand and managed to bite me. Once indoors they are fine. I had to bring the outdoor cages inside to let them out as they were acting as if I beat them. Once the outdoor cages were inside they stepped up with no problem. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I havent seen the shaking you speak of, but it sounds like they are just reluctant to return indoors.

I move mine outdoors regularly. Always in a small cage. I never open it outdoors, and even use a cable tie on the cage door before exiting the house.

Anything can happen outdoors and a spooked bird can easily escape from your grip

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Thanks for replying. I should clarify that the outdoors is a verandah that is enclosed but gets sun through the steel mesh flyscreens. They can't go anywhere. The shaking happens when I go to open the cage. Trembling is a better descriptor. They calm down as soon as they are in their indoor cages which are in my lounge room. I wondered if it was a Caique thing. I have other birds but these guys personalities are different to any bird I have known. Perhaps they don't like to see me out there and are used to my being inside? In Australia they are still rare so its harder to get info re personalities. I think I will give the small cages a try. I have a couple of hospital cages that will work. Thanks. :)

I havent seen the shaking you speak of, but it sounds like they are just reluctant to return indoors.

I move mine outdoors regularly. Always in a small cage. I never open it outdoors, and even use a cable tie on the cage door before exiting the house.

Anything can happen outdoors and a spooked bird can easily escape from your grip

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Trembling is normal for caiques. Always a sign of excitement.

Often accompanied by an involuntary poop

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Trembling is normal for caiques. Always a sign of excitement.

Often accompanied by an involuntary poop
Thats exactly what happens. Good grief, I wouldn't have stuck my hand in there if I had known. My older girl, 4ish years is nervy due to her history. She usually squeals as a warning. They seem to have a bad rap but I find them to be quite easy going. They seem to know what I am about to do just on my movements. There is not a lot of info on living with them other than the usual how to feed and look after them. I have had to pay strict attention to figure out their body language. Thank you for giving me a clue as to what was happening. :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Welcome. I have a flock of them. Oldest 7years. Youngest 3 hours.

Ask away

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Like sludge lol. Thick and very green

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Like sludge lol. Thick and very green
Thank you. :) I have been trying all sorts of variations, thick, thin etc and its not as popular as I hoped. I am a lousy chef though. So pouring cream consistency?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Thank you. :) I have been trying all sorts of variations, thick, thin etc and its not as popular as I hoped. I am a lousy chef though. So pouring cream consistency?
Yes. Like custard.
But it's the sweet taste that is the key. 60% veg. 40% fruit. I use spinach kale banana pineapple as a base

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
And do not leave in cage more than a day. It will grow bacteria fast

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Yes. Like custard.
But it's the sweet taste that is the key. 60% veg. 40% fruit. I use spinach kale banana pineapple as a base
Thanks. Will try, try again. Its winter here so I leave food a bit longer as my Eclectus is a grazer. I change food bowls for fresh ones twice a day and in summer more often.
One more question - What is the stare all about. Head tilt and stare at.....the ceiling, the couch, the wall, the clouds? They are not responsive until they snap out of it.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
The pause and stare is a question, typical after a strange noise or movement

Whats that
whats happening
Thats new