• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

October 2016 Feathered Estates Highlight - Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
October 2016 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member Tim!

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
1) We have two White bellied Caiques, Diego 10 months and Petunia 6 months old.
image.jpeg

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
2) No, neither is handicapped.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
3) A couple of stainless steel toy bases or skewers are essential! I can load them up with balsa blocks and birdie bagels and they love it. Also, found items seem to have as much perceived value to them as bought items. Some of their favorites are water bottle caps, phone books and flower catalogs! Investing in a couple of high-quality stainless toys is a good idea, too.
image (3).jpeg image (4).jpeg

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
4) The setup can be changed in lots of ways--I rotate chewing and foraging toys regularly, the Java Tree is moveable, we move things around on the table top and vary the placement of the toys on the tree to keep them interested.
image (18).jpeg image (16).jpeg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
5) We used lots of sources--the cages are from Amazon, and the Java tree and many perches, toys and stands are from a local shop called Parrot Island. They also keep me supplied with cage paper, custom pellet mixes and toy components for their skewers. And I love the AA vendors! I have great toys from Avian Stainless, Things for Wings, and The Birdsafe Store, but I have to mention extra special love for Tweety Pies Bird Toys @jerseybella. Both of them LOVE everything natural cork, and Diego lives for the snappy beads--they made a special version of Apache just for Diego with tons of extra snappy beads--I fear they are all snapped by now, but here's a picture! He also noticed the beads set into Petunia's platform perch right away--she hasn't noticed them yet!

image (1).jpeg image (2).jpeg

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
6) I love the Java tree, and I love my training perches. It really helps to have a separate place to do target and clicker training. If the birds had to choose, they would probably choose the boing in the bathroom! It's hard to get them off of it!

image (7).jpeg image (9).jpeg image (8).jpeg image (13).jpeg

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
7) Petunia is a major balsa shredder, so keeping the skewers filled is most important! I don't view anything as a failure--If they're not interested in something I take it apart and repurpose it--or add foraging opportunities to it to make it more interesting.

image (5).jpeg image (6).jpeg

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
8) I have toys designed as foraging toys, like a foraging wheel and a treat-hiding toy, but I like to make everything a potential foraging experience. All of their foot toys go in a basket, and I love to watch them search for their favorites (of the moment--they ARE caiques, after all!). I will tuck a piece of walnut or nutriberry into the crevices in hanging and chewing toys, which often helps encourage their interest in playing with that toy. I also will put a few seeds or nuts into a TP tube and crimp the ends closed to make a rattle--with a surprise inside. I really believe in keeping their minds active and introducing them to new experiences!
image (17).jpeg image (15).jpeg
9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
9) Difficulties--Oh yes! When we decided that we would like to have a parrot again, after many years without, we did tons of research, and did a lot of preparation before Diego's arrival. We painted the whole main floor. We knew that we needed to be able to completely separate the dogs, so we had to re-install the door between the kitchen and dining area. In order to do that, we needed to replace the refrigerator--the one that was there was too big to allow the door to close. Once we found a refrigerator that would fit, it was too tall for the cabinet above it, so I had to cut the cabinet down and remove the doors. Plus we gave away all of our non-stick pans and replaced them with stainless steel. All worth it! THEN we decided to add a second caique, so we had to reconfigure the living room shelving unit to accommodate the second cage, and add another lighting unit. Plus, we set up a bed in the basement (where my office furniture was) so that we could sleep in the basement when we have guests, because the guest room is now the bird's sleeping room!

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
10) The thing that I like least is that we have no outdoor space for them. I would love to have an outdoor aviary some day. We are working on harness training right now--maybe by next summer they'll be able to go for trips outside!

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
11) The thing I like most about my setup is that they have a lot of choices, and can move from place to place on their own, with different things to do at every location. Although my right shoulder is usually the place they decide to play if I'm sitting in the room :rofl: Also, having a separate sleeping room/sleeping cages. It makes it SO easy to do a daily cleaning of their cages, dishes and playspaces after they go to bed.

image (10).jpeg image (11).jpeg

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
12) They are caiques. They are not intimidated by anything! Ok, Petunia may take 5 minutes, but Diego is curious about everything, and completely fearless.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
13) I am currently in the process of removing the existing light fixture (ceiling fan with light) over the dining table area and replacing it with a track system for the whole room. It will be safer, and provide better lighting in the cage area. It's been fine in the summer, but it's going to be too dark in the winter. Maybe it will even be done before this interview goes up! I got high CR (90+) LED lamps for the track, which should be good for the birds (they also get 4 hours a day of full-spectrum avian lighting directly above their cages).

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Fantastic setup! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The setup is amazing!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That is a gorgeous set-up. You have very lucky caiques!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Very nice!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome. Congratulations.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Lots of ideas here. Thanks!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Great setups! And you have play place in your bathroom! What a great idea! Spoiled birdies, for sure!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Great setup!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Congrats! Your caiques are so very adorable. On that note, I'm adding something to aid you when dealing with Diego and Petunia ;)

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Nice set up!
:congrats3:

Reactions: Tim

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Very nice set up.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
This is amazing! Congratulations!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Love the setup! And lol @SandraK that pic is awesome!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Congrats Tim, cool set up

Status
Not open for further replies.