• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

October 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight - SamatranTiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
October 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

SamatranTiger

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member SamatranTiger with her small spaces/birdroom setup.

1. What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have a red throated conure, Kody, and an Alexandrine, Joey, and my setup was designed for the two of them.

Setup

Joey's Cage Setup

Kody's Cage Setup

2. Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No, this setup is not designed for a handicapped bird.

3. Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Budgeting? I have a tendency to do things with no real regard for cost so I'm probably the last person you want giving budgeting tips!

4. Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
My setup is changeable but everything stays primarily as is because Kody does not approve of major changes. In other words, cages don't get moved around and large hanging items like crawlers, oddballs, and swings remain where they are. The same applies to cage setups.

5. Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
I almost exclusively buy bird supplies from Things for Wings, Oliver's Garden, Avian Stainless, Josie and BB's Wood Wafers, and unapproved vendor. The majority of the items in my setup came from these vendors.

6. Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
I would have to go with my Avian Stainless toy collection. My setup would not be compete without Avian Stainless toys...40 and counting!

7. If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
The majority of Joey's toys are DIY toys simply because he is a wood destroying machine! With that being said, Joey only likes to destroy colored wood so the rejected toys (ie. failures) are typically natural wood toys. As for Kody, 99% of his toys are not DIY toys. The only DIY toy he has is his small skewers with Josie and BB's Wood Wafers on them which he loves!

AmeriColor Dye
Top Row (Left to Right): Super Red, Orange, Lemon Yellow, Leaf Green, Royal Blue, Regal Purple
Bottom Row (Left to Right): Electric Pink, Soft Pink Electric Green, Turquoise, Sky Blue, Electric Purple

8. Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I have quite a few foraging toys (ex. acrylic, foraging pots, perches, and wood blocks, a baffle cage, SS buckets, etc.) but only Joey will forage. I do not, however think this is the result of age or inactivity, rather, a difference in personalities and species. Joey is quite the curious and inquisitive bird whereas Kody is a velcro bird who simply wants to sit on my shoulder 24/7. He has no desire, patience, nor attention span whatsoever to forage!

9. What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
The greatest difficulty that I have encountered with my setup is the small space. It's quite the challenge to get everything you want into such a small space but we make it work by means of trial and error!

10. What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
As mentioned above, the small space is not only the greatest challenge when it comes to the setup but is also what I like least.

11. What do you like most about your setup?
There's nothing in particular that stands out in terms of what I like most but the large window in their area is quite nice as it lets in a substantial amount of sunlight. Kody likes to look outside too!

12. Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
Joey took to the setup right away as he's a very curious bird but Kody needs time to adjust to changes and that applied to when I first set everything up. Once again, I do not, however, think this is the result of age or inactivity, rather, a difference in personalities and species.

13. Any future renovations planned?
The only renovation planned for the near future is a cage upgrade for Kody.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Awesome setup! Congrats!

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
What lucky birds! Your setup is inspiring.

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome set=up! Your birds are very lucky and happy!:congratsbig:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You have an amazing setup! Thank you for sharing pictures of your setup, birds and toys. I enjoyed reading your interview.

Matt

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just fabulous! Bright and airy...beautiful set-up and baby birds:heart::heart::heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Beautiful wonderland for birds!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Your setup is truly amazing! I love it! It is a bird paradise and so bright and airy. Your beautiful birds are very lucky!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a fun and stimulating birdie setup and space :dance5:

:Congratwav:

Your parrots are beautiful and I love the pictures on this thread and how they are framed :giveme5::yah:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.