• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts in shell??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Where do you guys buy your nuts in shell? All I can find is shelled!

Can a gcc get into the nuts with shells??

Does hemp seed come in a shell? Or is it just like the pic below? My conure LOVES these things.. They are the perfect foraging treat!!

Thanks guys!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352408876.833258.jpg

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i get all my nuts in the shell at NutsOnline, now Nuts.com | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets they are absolutely great and carry a HUGE variety of products. as far as what a conure can break open? idk. my smallest bird is my caique (140g or so) and he can open an almond if i start it for him. i give him walnut halves and the larger/harder nuts already cracked. i'm sure someone with smaller birds will have an idea of what a conure can crack.

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
my sun conure can rip open an almond in shell quite quickly and viciously:D but i have yet to see him eat a hazelnut in shell without help or even a huge walnut. i don't think a gcc could get anything bigger or harder than an almond in shell or pistachio.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This time of year Wegmans stores have a nut bar where you can pick what you want. The hemp seeds are steralized so they will not germinate and grow you know what. They are fine to feed just like in the photo. Many of the bird companies sell shelled nuts like MSBS. I pre crack the shells. When I had a GCC he lived to eat the nut meat from a walnut shell.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Where do you guys buy your nuts in shell? All I can find is shelled!

Can a gcc get into the nuts with shells??

Does hemp seed come in a shell? Or is it just like the pic below? My conure LOVES these things.. They are the perfect foraging treat!!

Thanks guys!

View attachment 124777

Yes the hemp seed comes in a shell. I buy both, mine like it in the shell and I use the hearts (like in your picture) in birdies bread, etc.........

Here they are in the shell

Hemp Seeds — Nuts.com

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nuts.com here too :) I do buy whole hemp seed, too.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is another site that has lots of nuts. They also have larger packaging (i.e. 50# bas of walnuts or mixed nuts) for those of you who have lots of birds. I have found that their prices are usually a little lower than nuts . com. They ship very fast.

http://www.nutsite.com/

They also have the largest variety of dried fruit, that I have found. Lots of it non-sulphered.

Last edited:

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Nuts.com is where I get tons of stuff! My birds love the hemp seeds, even my big guys eat them. We get almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, pecans, hazelnuts and macadamia nuts all in their shells, plus I get some stuff like powdered cheese for myself. It makes homemade mac and cheese to die for!

bratdoll

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
I actually picked up a couple large bags of mixed (in shell) nuts from Sams Club two days ago --- Diamond brand. I believe it was like $10 for a 3lb. bag (a tiny bit cheaper than nuts.com, considering there is no shipping cost and this is a mix of macadamias, walnuts, almonds, etc). Its like a holiday blend, so I'm sure they won't be sold after Christmas...

Anyone know the shelf life of in-shell nuts? or if they could be frozen to keep longer? I'd like to go buy several more bags before they're not sold until the next holiday....

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, they should be frozen for 48 hours+ in order to kill any moths. They keep for months if you keep them frozen and just unfreeze in weekly batches. Walmart has the same thing every years during the holidays @ $3.48/pound. I stock up with about 50# every year.

This year I bought all walnuts because Jasper likes them best and I still have mixed nuts left.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
I bought some unshelled almond from the Diamond brand, mentioned above.

Freezing them is a great idea!! I hate moths..

gayeschaul

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Gaye Schaul
I am in the Chicago suburbs and anuts.com (anuts is the name of the co.) is by far the best price on shelled nuts overall.
My Green Wing loves nuts in the shell and he loves them all. Being a Green Wing, he can break every size. including brazil nuts.
Anuts ships and its so reasonable, i dont drive to his location for pickup.

SW_GS_colortest.jpg

militarybrat2012

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Now is the best time to purchase in shell nuts. I just bought several pounds from the local walmart. they were 3.48lb. mixture of brazil, almond, pecan, walnut, chesnut. i was planning on stocking up since i have the smae problem during non holidays finding in nuts in shell. thinking of freezing some.

Status
Not open for further replies.