1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nutriberries as main seed diet

Discussion in 'Enrichment and Foraging Park' started by Odin, 9/13/17.

1. Odin

Odin Rollerblading along the road

Chantal
    Can the nutriberries in combination with Harrisons' pellets and fresh chop? I like how the nutriberries make them work a little (forage) to eat.
    The container calls for ten a day, but that seems like a lot for tiels and budgies.
    Can anyone speak to this?

2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    My understanding is that nutriberries are nutritionally equivalent to pellets. It does seems though like 10 a day is a lot for a small bird. Sunny wasn't a big pellet eater. So I would give him one or two senior nutriberries a day.

Odin likes this.
  3. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna
    I treat nutriberries as seeds. They get two a day in addition to their pellets and veggies

Odin likes this.
  4. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    10 a day? Yikes! Dr. Orosz said that my cheekies can get everything they need from six per day if I did not do pellets. But I do use the regular size. Mine get two, twice per day in addition to their pellets and other veggies/fruits. I could probably go down to 1 twice per day but they all have me very wrapped. And I do give the elderly birds more than the younger flock members.

jmfleish, Mizzely, Odin and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    My vet considers nutriberries a pellet, so you might want to add a bit of seed too. I guess it would depend on how much of the pellet part they eat though! 10 seems like a bit too much, especially combined with the Harrison's. The ones for tiels are kind of small, maybe see how much they actually eat, and take it from there.

Odin and sunnysmom like this.
  6. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna

Yes my boys eat the seeds and drop the core lol. So that is why I use them as seeds :p

Tiel Feathers, webchirp and jmfleish like this.
  7. cosmolove

cosmolove Biking along the boulevard Avenue Veteran

Erica (:
    We treat nutriberries more like seed here as well. I give 2-3 a day at most to my blue crown conure and eclectus. I use them in their foraging toys, they're the favorite food item in the house for the birds so I make them work for it ;)

Odin likes this.
  8. cosmolove

cosmolove Biking along the boulevard Avenue Veteran

Erica (:
    I should add we give them in addition to their pellets and anything else I tempt them with for the day :p

Odin likes this.
  9. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Maybe 2. Not 10. Smaller species are seed eating birds and nutriberries are certainly a step up from seed.

I use them as treats. Couple times a week.

A budgie/cockatiel couldn't eat 10. It just wouldn't fit. But then again. They are very efficient poop factorys.

Last edited: 9/13/17
    Tiel Feathers and Odin like this.
  10. Hjarta5

Hjarta5 Meeting neighbors

Jennifer
    Wow, Im really glad I came across this post! I recently purchased my first bag of nutriberries for my Quaker and had been giving her 4-5 a day -- plus 1-2 in practicing foraging with her! :blink: And I was feeling guilty that I wasnt strictly following the directions on the bag given that I was also providing her pellets and fresh veggies/fruits :dead:

Odin likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)