• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nutriberries as main seed diet

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Can the nutriberries in combination with Harrisons' pellets and fresh chop? I like how the nutriberries make them work a little (forage) to eat.
The container calls for ten a day, but that seems like a lot for tiels and budgies.
Can anyone speak to this?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My understanding is that nutriberries are nutritionally equivalent to pellets. It does seems though like 10 a day is a lot for a small bird. Sunny wasn't a big pellet eater. So I would give him one or two senior nutriberries a day.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I treat nutriberries as seeds. They get two a day in addition to their pellets and veggies

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
10 a day? Yikes! Dr. Orosz said that my cheekies can get everything they need from six per day if I did not do pellets. But I do use the regular size. Mine get two, twice per day in addition to their pellets and other veggies/fruits. I could probably go down to 1 twice per day but they all have me very wrapped. And I do give the elderly birds more than the younger flock members.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My vet considers nutriberries a pellet, so you might want to add a bit of seed too. I guess it would depend on how much of the pellet part they eat though! 10 seems like a bit too much, especially combined with the Harrison's. The ones for tiels are kind of small, maybe see how much they actually eat, and take it from there.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My vet considers nutriberries a pellet, so you might want to add a bit of seed too. I guess it would depend on how much of the pellet part they eat though! 10 seems like a bit too much, especially combined with the Harrison's. The ones for tiels are kind of small, maybe see how much they actually eat, and take it from there.

Yes my boys eat the seeds and drop the core lol. So that is why I use them as seeds :p

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
We treat nutriberries more like seed here as well. I give 2-3 a day at most to my blue crown conure and eclectus. I use them in their foraging toys, they're the favorite food item in the house for the birds so I make them work for it ;)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I should add we give them in addition to their pellets and anything else I tempt them with for the day :p

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Maybe 2. Not 10. Smaller species are seed eating birds and nutriberries are certainly a step up from seed.

I use them as treats. Couple times a week.

A budgie/cockatiel couldn't eat 10. It just wouldn't fit. But then again. They are very efficient poop factorys.

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Wow, Im really glad I came across this post! I recently purchased my first bag of nutriberries for my Quaker and had been giving her 4-5 a day -- plus 1-2 in practicing foraging with her! :blink: And I was feeling guilty that I wasnt strictly following the directions on the bag given that I was also providing her pellets and fresh veggies/fruits :dead:

Birds&Tea

Meeting neighbors
LaFaber also does Pellet-Berries which they list as "81% Pellets, 19% Individual Fruits and Grains = 100% Enriched Nutrition". They have them for Budgies, Cockatiels, and larger parrots. Both my cockatiel and GCC love them :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks @forbirdsandtea - I'll have to look into those! We are currently changing pellets.

I give my tiels ONE nutriberry a day. I consider it a treat, even though it is not viewed that way. I feel like they drop a lot so I'm not sure how much "nutrition" they're really gaining from it.

Remember the manufacturer wants to sell products - so of course they'll say 10 a day!

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
When it's 10 a day that's when the bird is eating mostly the seed maybe instead of the pellet ball in between?