• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

November 2015 Mayor of the Avenue... Aubrey (Flipper)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Aubrey is November's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I only have one bird and he's an 8 yr old Maximilian Pionus parrot that I adopted from a local parrot rescue in February of this year. His name is Leto and that's the name he came with.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I've always been been an animal lover and my mom had 2 cockatiels when I was a kid. But I must admit, that I fell in love with their complex behaviors and potential for mimicry/talking. Their beautiful plumage and long lifespan are also wonderful attributes in my opinion.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

PURE JOY! Leto makes me laugh every day! I love his noises, his smell, his silly antics,his intelligence and insight, his fascination with my aquarium, and a zillion other things that I'm forgetting!

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

The #1 thing is patience! I've also had to teach myself to move around the house at a slower pace. Also, determination to get the little stinker to eats foods other than pellets and nutiberries. :rolleyes:

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I had my eye on Leto for many many months, but my husband was NOT on board with getting a bird :( After much negotiating, pleading, begging : One of the best memories I have is on 02/18/15 ....... The day I brought Leto home and he screamed his name most of the way! ....... Leeeeeeeettooo!:bliss::swoon:

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Its in our dining room/living room main area of the house. His cage is attached to the playgym with a rope perch. He's only in the cage if I'm at work or if I leave the house for some strange reason :hehepink:

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Oh yes! Much to my husbands dismay! All of the cleaning products were tossed out! No more Teflon! No candles, no air fresheners, no self cleaning ovens (but I didn't really use those any way). Our vacations and traveling are also restricted but I don't care in the least because Leto increases the quality of my life more than a trip would :cloud9:

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I'm in a local parrot club that meets monthly and often brings in speakers. This last month, Jason Crean was our guest speaker and it was fascinating!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I'd love to be able to provide Leto with a safe outdoor aviary to get sunshine and stimulation! ........ Maybe someday :smileflower:

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I dream of an african grey someday but, I'm 100% content with my Leto bird and other pets!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Depends if I'm working or not since when I work it's for 12 hours (but only 3 days/weeks). It's pretty routine around here and we do a lot of hanging out. Leto likes to help (bathe in his water dish) when I do water changes. He likes to take showers with me and I take him with me when I walk around the house. We like to chill and watch Ellen in the afternoons :laughing9:

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I tell people (mostly coworkers) to never get a bird on a whim. Do your research! But I think this is true for all pets.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have been owned by parrots a long time ago :xflove:

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I am a rug hooker, like to crochet and walk my dog and ride my bike. If I'm feeling spunky I also really like Zumba!

This is Leto enjoying his things for wings toy from the last SWS
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

These are a few of the rugs I've hooked

4.jpg

5.jpg

This is the most difficult one I've done. It's based on a photo of a friends goldfish. This rug now resides in Australia!

6.jpg

The next rug I'm planning to hook is of Leto. I'll post it on AA when I do.

Here's our selfie from a couple weeks ago if you didn't see it

7.jpg

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Congrats Aubrey!! :congrats:

Leto is such a handsome guy. Those hooked rugs are beautiful! I know how difficult those are to make and they are amazing.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

By the way - Leto is the first bird that I've ever held outside of my amazons. I was chastised by one of the other members of the club because I didn't "sniff" him - how was I to know that Leto put off a smell (like the zons do). I need a nametag that says "clueless" . . . .

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Leto is fabulous and I love your hooked rugs!! Quite the talent.
Your award is well deserved!
:Congratwav:
:ygg:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I love that you said he increases your quality of life! Congrats you two! :heart:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congratsbig: Flipper!
Congrats Aubrey!! :congrats:

Leto is such a handsome guy. Those hooked rugs are beautiful! I know how difficult those are to make and they are amazing.
Thank you so much! :) The rugs are time consuming, but they're a labor of love.
Congratulations!
Thanks! :)
:congratsbig:This award is definitely deserved. Aubrey is a member who cares very much about other members.
Awwww! Thank you very much :xflove:
:congratsbig:
Thanks!
Congrats!

By the way - Leto is the first bird that I've ever held outside of my amazons. I was chastised by one of the other members of the club because I didn't "sniff" him - how was I to know that Leto put off a smell (like the zons do). I need a nametag that says "clueless" . . . .
:lol:You did so wonderful holding him! He does smell yummers :) You'll have to sniff him at November's meeting. :smuggrin:
i do it to my boyfriend and my bird i'm like a stalker trying to sniff their heads :)

Flips! Congrats and much deserved

much love
andrea xxxxx
Thanks! He does smell like heaven :cloud9:
I must add your hooked rugs are really really beautiful, bagsy to book one for sweetie after you are doing for Leto!
Thanks ;)
Leto is fabulous and I love your hooked rugs!! Quite the talent.
Your award is well deserved!
:Congratwav:
:ygg:
You're very kind! Thank you!:hug8:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Status
Not open for further replies.