• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (Not urgent) Sudden feather loss

Masquerade

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I got my birds out this morning and noticed that my lovebird's neck looked funny and on closer inspection he has a bald patch about 3/4 inch thick under his neck, just under his pink facial feathers. It's only on the front which leads me to believe he pulled all the feathers out himself.

He didn't have anything wrong yesterday so he must have pulled all the feathers out overnight. He's acting as usual today but I noticed he's chewing at the area a lot and preening the feathers around it.

I've got an appointment at the vet at 5 today but I was wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be? I treated him with some ivermectin as soon as I noticed in case it's mites, just to be safe.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
It is not usual for indoor birds to get mites. Years and years ago people would always be jumping to the conclusion the cause of any and everything was due to mites and the poor bird had to be treated for them.

Isn't so.

Please don't go treating a bird for anything unless you know what the problem is for a fact first.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
see the avian vet please

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little boy, I hope he's okay!

Masquerade

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Vet said it was most likely an infection on the skin or an irritation and has given me anti-inflammatories, anti-biotics and some cream. I gave it to him when we got home and he already seems to be picking less and the skin looks less red. The vet said I did the right thing by giving him ivermectin just to make sure.

Does anyone know how long it takes for feathers to grow back?

Hoping he won't pluck any more out but there's always the chance I may have to go back. Fingers crossed he'll be ok.

Masquerade

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I've been treating him just as the vet said but the bald patch is growing, it's about 1 1/2 inches top to bottom now and stretches round past his wings. I don't know what to do. The skin doesn't look red or sore, he just keeps picking at it and it's really stressing me out.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been treating him just as the vet said but the bald patch is growing, it's about 1 1/2 inches top to bottom now and stretches round past his wings. I don't know what to do. The skin doesn't look red or sore, he just keeps picking at it and it's really stressing me out.
The only thing I can think is to call the vet back. :( That sounds so troubling. I'm sorry the poor little thing is plucking himself bald. I hope it isn't anything too serious and that it is resolved soon.