• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (Not Urgent?) Possibles Aspiration?

Parchmento

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alyssa
I’m sorry that this has to be my first post on this wonderful forum, but I’m worried that my bird may have aspirated too much medicine. We recently took him to the vet for a checkup, and he was diagnosed with severe giardia and spiral bacteria infection, so the vet prescribed him metronidazole and doxycycline. We have to use a syringe to inject the medicine into his mouth, and though he does fine when it comes to taking the metronidazole, he has problems taking the doxycycline. I don’t know if he doesn’t like the taste or what not, but every time he takes it he aspirates a tiny bit of it. Usually it’s nothing too severe, but this time I’m a bit worried. He’s doing the stuff he normally would; preening, walking around on the bed, pecking at stuff. But he does seem to be “wheezing” a bit, and had a bit of problems with chirping and was keeping his mouth open previously. Whenever he breathes he makes a sorta clicking sound, and sometimes his tail bobs are it’s his breathing. I’m worried that he may have aspirated too much medicine and if I should take him to the vet or do something to help him. Also, how should I improve my way of giving him medicine so this doesn’t happen again? Thank you for reading, I know this was a bit long. And if it helps at all: he’s a young cockatiel, the dose is .075 milliliters, and he has been sneezing a bit out a bit of the medicine.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I would definitely call the vet and talk to them about what's happening.

As for helping get the medicine down, does your bird like any sort of fruit or pureed veggies? You can get little jars of organic baby food. I like Beech Nut brand because it doesn't have preservatives or any extra things added. I put draw up the medicines and push them out all on to a spoon. Mix up a tiny bit of the baby food (usually fruit or fruit and veg mix) and offer it up to the bird like a treat.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He may have aspirated - it's hard to tell sometimes. The good news is that he is on antibiotics already and you should keep those up.

You should either call or take him to the vet ASAP.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you think he has aspirated and is having difficulty breathing then you need to take him to the vet. How is he doing now?
You can draw up the medication and then draw up some unsweetened apple juice or other unsweetened juice to make it more palatable.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try not to inject the medicine into his mouth. Instead slowly drip it in. It does not have to be all in at once. Are you holding him in an upright position for medicating?

Get well birdie. What species bid do you have?

Parchmento

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alyssa
Thank you all for your advice! Thankfully, he has gotten much better after about 30 minutes, and is back to his normal self. I’m assuming he just got some stuck in his nostril airways, which I heard is fairly common and harmless. I’ll try using some puréed fruit or juice and drip it in more slowly. He’s a young pearled cockatiel, and we hold him more horizontal/slanted up when medicating him. Sorry for worrying you all, but thank you for the help!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with your assessment -- he probably got it in his nose (because it tasted bad) hence the snorting. It is common and harmless, although uncomfortable. Metronidazole is notorious for tasting awful so it doesn't surprise me.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
A couple of months ago, Rupert was being given Sulfamethoxazole, and I had a heck of a time getting him to swallow any of it... it must have tasted awful. I'd give him the tiniest drop one at a time and he would hold it in his beak and fling/spit it back out.