• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Not Urgent - Possible breathing issues?

Doll

Moving in
Hey everyone, I figured that asking other bird owners might be better than trying to talk about this with friends and family. I have a cockatiel who's been with me only since earlier this year. She's been eating, drinking, playing, and singing fine, but I can't help but worry about her breathing. She sneezes a few times a day, and occasionally they are wet sneezes. I've noticed that after sneezing, she makes this sniffling sound like when someone has a cold (it only lasts a few minutes). She is moulting, which may be why she's sneezing. I'm unsure if she is tail bobbing or it is simply normal tail movement, so I'll try to attach or link to some videos.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Molting shouldn't induce sneezing.

Based off the information, it's hard to tell one way or another. It could be seasonal allergies, or dry air - my quaker gets sneezy if it's dry out. You could try running a humidifier near the cage and see if that helps the sneezing. If it doesn't improve and there isn't a cause you can detect (such as taking a bath shortly beforehand) then a vet visit should be the next step just to be sure.

Doll

Moving in
I see, well itt is winter over in Australia right now. I have an air purifier in the room, but I'll look into getting a humidifier. Bath's aren't the case, but she does usually sneeze right after preening.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would guess the dry air then; Jingo gets sneezy at the beginning of every winter :)

Doll

Moving in
I do hope that's the case, and not a respiratory infection. I might just ask about it during her next health check unless anything else happens before then.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see a tail bob but that's definitely a sinus congestion noise. Personally I'd get her checked just to rule out infection. She does look good otherwise though.

Doll

Moving in
Here to bring an update on her. I can now confirm that she occassionally tail bobs, especially after sneezing. I do notice that she sneezes most when she in in her cage (which is in my room). I do clean the cage regularly, and I dont use candles, incense, products that spray or anything airborne. I have not had the chance to get a humidifier so for now I'll bring her in on a stand while I shower or increase her showers. My worries for her health have once again skyrocketed, however getting her to the vet is a matter of convincing my parents (it seems like the only way they would take her is if she "looks" sick).

Should there be any change in her condition, whether for the better or worse, I will update this thread.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Great to see an update on your bird. I hope she is clearing up a little.

Doll

Moving in
Thank you, Shezbug. :)

I should also add that she has been to the vet earlier this year: about two weeks after we got her, I think I was just paranoid about her breathing. We had initially visited the general vet, who gave her a crop swab that came back with nothing. The vet said it was most likely psittacosis, and gave her a shot (of what exactly, I'm unsure). During the next visit, the avian vet prescribed doxycycline in her water for 40 days.

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Given that history, she definitely needs followup ASAP to determine if she really does have psittacosis and if she's had a relapse. Do your parents know thar you could catch it if that's the case?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would also let your parents know that as prey animals, they instinctively try to hide their symptoms. A sick bird can be abandoned by the flock to prevent illness spreading, and a sick bird, with or without the flock, is a target for predators. So when they "look" sick, they are REALLY sick.

Doll

Moving in
My father definitely knows, since he was in the room with me when the vet told us. I have been telling them (that birds tend to hide their illnesses until it's almost too late) even before I created the thread, but they seem to say "okay..." and brush it of?
What confuses me is that they've been saying things such as "You really care about her, don't you?", but seem to brush off my worries. They play with her and love when she sings too, so I don't see why they'd be so apprehensive about taking her to the vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
In the top video, your baby is definitely breathing heavy. Can't really tell in the bottom video. I would say that she need to go to the vet. Respiratory issues are nothing to fool around with.

Doll

Moving in
The vet visit was yesterday and we're waiting on test results to come back (I can't recall the name of the test, however her eyes, mouth, and cloaca were swabbed). For now, she's on antibiotics for a week. The vet said that the cold may have something to do with her breathing too, so we're looking into getting a low-light heating lamp for her. It's only been a day since the visit, so I'll update (hopefully) in the near future.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope the test results were good news and your tiel girl is feeling better. :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That is wonderful news! :pinklol3:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yay :dance4: It is always great to get good updates :)