• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (not urgent) Lovebird Injured Wing

Peachy-Gizmo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emma Freeman
This morning Pip fell from the edge of the sofa, there isn't much space between the sofa and some storage containers and she appears to have hurt her wing. She is clipped, although her flights have mostly grown back in. She fell when my partner asked her to step up and she decided she would rather back away... off of the edge of the sofa. She seems very twitchy with that wing, waving it (rather than flapping) in a slightly haphazard manor as though it is uncomfortable. She has flown a bit since it happened so I am hoping the wing isn't badly damaged but we have kept her in her cage most of the day to rest it. Just hoping someone can shed some light on whether it might recquire a trip to the vet or whether it's just bruised / strained and will heal on its own.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do the feathers seem properly aligned? Sometimes they will wave and twitch a wing when a feather is askew until it is back in its proper place. If you have doubts, though, I would take her to the vet.

Peachy-Gizmo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emma Freeman
feathers seem fine, it looks more as though she is moving it because it is stiff or painful, we'll keep an eye on it for another day, if it doesn't seem to be getting better or if it looks like it might be getting worse we will take her to the vet.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
how is your bird now

Peachy-Gizmo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emma Freeman
She is much better, thank you. We have kept her in her cage a lot more than she is used to the passed couple of days but it seems to have paid off. She hasn't been waving the wing around at all today so it seems to have healed on its own, I think perhaps she just bruised it a bit. Gah, I am sure Pip is prematurely ageing me :p