• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Not Urgent - Changes in poop

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
I’ve recently noticed the different colors of my bird poop. It’s usually either dark green or yellow-brown-ish, but I also see black now.

It’s not much, but still.

I want advice on this. It’s not normal. Should I bring her to the vet for something?

Attachments

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Did she eat anything dark? Black berries, beets? Anything that could explain the color change?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The poop will vary with your birds diet. Seeds, pellets and fresh foods will all change your birds poop. Soon you will know the normal range for your bird. Black is strange, but I bet if you smear it, it will be dark green. What is your birds diet like? Have you taken her for a well check?

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Which nutriberries? The one with cranberries makes Lennerd poop dark purple almost black looking. If this is odd for your fid and the next couple of droppings are the same I'd have her vetted again.

Do what @Tiel Feathers said and smear it to see the color inside.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well we all can get sick in a few months ;) But I'm guessing it is probably just normal variations. Jingo can have watery poop one moment and then a dark, harder poop the next. The problem is when you have consistently "not normal" droppings.If it happens to be black a lot without cause, a vet visit is certainly needed.

What kind of pellets is she eating? If they are colored, that will change the color of the poop. Some contain alfalfa which also seems to make darker poop.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it really is black and not dark green, it indicates internal bleeding and is an emergency.

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
She has Lafeber’s Nutriberries. As for the pallet, it’s the Natural Zupreem pallet. And All Living Things for the spring millet (orange scented).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Internal bleeding can also be from ingesting something nonedible (metal shavings, toy parts, etc)

I would smear the poop out to see if it's actually black or if it's green, brown, etc

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I didn't think of that!
Been there. My bird had no symptoms until she started pooping black. I knew what it meant so I rushed her to the vet. A couple hours later she was on death's door with septic shock. So, I firmly believe that all black droppings (actual black when smeared) should be treated as an emergency until proven otherwise.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Been there. My bird had no symptoms until she started pooping black. I knew what it meant so I rushed her to the vet. A couple hours later she was on death's door with septic shock. So, I firmly believe that all black droppings (actual black when smeared) should be treated as an emergency until proven otherwise.

I agree with you on that! Black is no good. I'm sorry you had to experience that; how scary!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sometimes Joey’s poop is dark green but turns a dark brown/black when it is dried up.
I like Mizzely’s idea to smear the fresh poop to see what color it is.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with you on that! Black is no good. I'm sorry you had to experience that; how scary!
Fortunately she survived. But I don't think she would have if I'd waited at all.

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
@enigma731 oh..... I’m still new to all of this. I didn’t know that. I think Mandaandrio mentioned this in her livestream, but I didn’t pay much attention to every detail. Anyway, sorry to hear about that, but at least it turned out okay.

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
It’s actually green inside. But it’s strange how I notice the black droppings just recently.