• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (Not Urgent) but chronic GCC Issue

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
One of my female GCCs that is now roughly one year old has been going through on and off puffy and lethargic behavior.

Long History but necessary info. I've had her since weaned. She had an initial higher than normal level of bad bacteria when brought in for her first vet check, avian certified vet runs crop, vent and fecal stains. Blood work was normal so she was put on an antibiotic for bad bacteria and her followup a few weeks later was perfect. She never exhibited any illness symptoms during this.

About 6 months later she came down with a serious case of puffiness and lethargy but was always well perched and ate and drank but had liquid vomiting throughout the day and poor looking feces (dark green and slight diarrhea). I brought her into emergency and all blood work and gram stains were fine. They gave her fluid injection in the hip and put her on Reglan to help move food through her crop and DI. Next day she seemed much better and the second day was completely back to normal.

About a month after that she got super puffy and lethargic again with diarrhea but this time no vomiting. She went back in and gram stains were fine but her white blood cell count was through the roof. Vet said normal is 1-3, hers was 40,000. They put her on antiobiotics again even though there was no presence of a baterial infection but they wanted to rule that out, and yet again she seemed great after two days and two week checkup was perfect and her white blood cells are back to normal.

Now for the past 4 months she is on and off again puffy and lethargic, it seems about every other week, no where near as bad as prior incidents, but she always seems to pull back to her normal self two to three days later. I cannot put my finger on it and either can our avian vets. We have just recently switched her entirely to harrisons (instead of a mix with treats) in case she may have some type of allergy, its been about a month on pure harrisons with slightly better results but not definitive.

We have had her tested for Psitt, Borna Virus (PDD) and a few others I cannot remember.

The Dr's want to make sure we do not over diagnose her, a term in which they call diagnose to death, which I agree with. They want to see if the diet change may help. So we havent been taking her in for checkups in the last few months when she gets puff buts its difficult to see her this way.

I wanted to see if anyone else out there may have some off the wall ideas, or something to look into that we maybe missing.

Oh Edited to include that she is a year and has not had her first molt either. Which I find a bit strange

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
Oh I forgot to add the reason we ran Borna Virus tests and was switched solely to Harrisons is because she was having bits of undigested seed in her poop.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but, have you tried aloe vera detox? Does she eat any fresh veggies or fruits? Ask your vet about the aloe vera, it can't hurt. I hope shes OK.:hug8:

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
I havent heard. Ill do some research and bring it up with the vet as well.

She did get fresh fruits and veggies a few times a week but the vets wanted to shy away for a bit to eliminate the possibility of fresh food fungi and bacteria adding to the problem.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
Has the vet tried putting her on celebrex yet... my budgie Nimbus had similar symptoms and that seemed to help. Her problem was bad genes (and eventually cancer from said bad genes) but I don't think there's as much risk of that in a young GCC as there is in a 3 year old budgie, so I wouldn't jump to bad conclusions yet (just mentioned what happened with my budgie to clarify).

What would happen with my bird is she'd be fine for months, then a stress would occur (hormones, moulting, etc) and this would trigger the vomiting, diarrhea, etc and because her system was already taxed with the effort of fighting the underlying problem the stress would make her sick. Sometimes this manifested as an infection. Celebrex is an anti-inflammatory and seemed to help. It's something to ask the vet about at least.