• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NOT SURE IF URGENT — Favoring foot after injury

convivial

Meeting neighbors
I feel HORRIBLE, I was hooking her ladder onto her food box, and she moved her foot right as I did so and I clipped her foot with the ladder. She immediately started screaming, and I quickly unhooked the ladder and picked her up. She wasn’t upset at me, but now she’s not standing on the foot... any tips? Anything I can do to make her more comfortable? I was just talking to her softly and giving her neck scritches, but I’m worried she’s either gonna be afraid of the ladder or afraid of the food box.

convivial

Meeting neighbors
B004FD9B-F00D-4A1C-A32E-E5D9AB4B3AF0.jpeg D356BA58-E1FB-4A59-9E35-B39F55C1FA74.jpeg
It’s her right foot, it feels hot to the touch but it’s not bleeding. She’s also not gripping anything with it and isn’t able to step up.

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Maybe wait an hour, see if she will step up for millet spray and then without if she will step up, then put her on a flat surface and see if she can walk, then put her on the cage bars and see if she can clammer about on them, and finally on her perch and get her to go left and then right and back again on her perch.

If she can't maybe she has a break or sprain and you should take her to a vet on the small chance the vet will need to set and cast a break somewhere in the leg or foot.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's normal for us to think we've hurt our birds more than we actually have, when a bird will make a lot of fuss and stop using a foot for a while after a knock.
It doesn't look bad as there's no apparent swelling bruising or blood, and she can still use it if needed. She may still favour that foot for a while but I'm sure she'll be back to normal within a few hours or so.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just watch, it dosen't look bruised, but give an hour and see, she will hold it up for while. I've pinched my birds feet also, they favored it for a day ,also, put her on the rug or floor later and see if she will walk. Hope shes ok.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
she might need pain medicine. My vet gave me a bottle of metacam for an injury like that.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Just watch, it dosen't look bruised, but give an hour and see, she will hold it up for while. I've pinched my birds feet also, they favored it for a day ,also, put her on the rug or floor later and see if she will walk. Hope shes ok.
I would definitely keep her on watch and look for any changes in skin color,bruising/swelling and see if she starts putting pressure or using it as the day wears on.

If you've got platform perches, put some in her cage and pad them with fleece so that her other foot gets some relief. Only using one foot can make the normal foot sore as well.

convivial

Meeting neighbors
I would definitely keep her on watch and look for any changes in skin color,bruising/swelling and see if she starts putting pressure or using it as the day wears on.

If you've got platform perches, put some in her cage and pad them with fleece so that her other foot gets some relief. Only using one foot can make the normal foot sore as well.
Maybe wait an hour, see if she will step up for millet spray and then without if she will step up, then put her on a flat surface and see if she can walk, then put her on the cage bars and see if she can clammer about on them, and finally on her perch and get her to go left and then right and back again on her perch.

If she can't maybe she has a break or sprain and you should take her to a vet on the small chance the vet will need to set and cast a break somewhere in the leg or foot.
It's normal for us to think we've hurt our birds more than we actually have, when a bird will make a lot of fuss and stop using a foot for a while after a knock.
It doesn't look bad as there's no apparent swelling bruising or blood, and she can still use it if needed. She may still favour that foot for a while but I'm sure she'll be back to normal within a few hours or so.
she might need pain medicine. My vet gave me a bottle of metacam for an injury like that.

Thank you all for the advice (and to whichever admin that combined my two posts). She seems to be alright, favoring the foot a lot less now and is fully mobile in terms of getting around her cage. I'll definitely monitor her tomorrow as well to see if her grip strength with the foot has returned or not. A big concern of mine was her being afraid of the ladder, or the food box, but she's doing alright there as well. All in all she's alright and if she isn't, the avian vet is a 10 minute drive away!