• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Not sure if this is a true 911-Tweety coughing in the shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I had him and Piglet in the shower, on the shower perch misting them. I also had the shower on for the added humidity. I had the water stream faced against the shower wall. It turned, I think it must be loose, it's never done that before and it was right over top of Tweety. He was coughing and coughing. As soon as I noticed it I got him out of there. He coughed a few more times and quit.

Will this cause him to get sick, pneumonia? Should I take him to the vet? Just watch him? I know some people shower with their birds, how do they stand under the shower stream and not get water in their nose and throat, air sacs etc? I feel so bad that I didn't notice it right away. I was misting Piglet and looked over at Tweety and saw him coughing under the water. I hope he'll be ok. :( He's preening right now.

What should I do?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Make sure he is dry and just watch him...
This happens some times...:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Try to stay calm:hug8:Keep Tweety warm and keep a very good eye on him! If He is eating,preening,playing,going potty OK-He probably just got a wee bit of water where it should not have been! I would also Listen to his breathing,and watch for any tail bobbing.IF His Breathing does not sound right or He starts tail bobbing-I would Get Him to A QAV for a check up and perhaps antibiotics:hug8:Keep Us Posted!

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks, I'll watch him very closely. I feel so bad that when I looked over at him he was coughing and looking up at me, like "aren't you going to do something?" :(:( I hope he'll be ok.

How long would it take for an infection to set in if it's going to?

Billie Faye, you've seen birds do this before and be ok?

Bonnie, it was a lot of water, the stream was running right on him, once I got him out he only coughed a few more times though.

I'll watch him for tail bobbing and keep listening to his breathing.

Last edited:

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
I'm sure he just got a bit of water up in his nose... BeBe does that when he showers with me sometimes though too. Mainly when he gets soaked.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Einstein fell off the seat in the shower once and landed right under the water, of course he looked up at me for help and got a nose full! He coughed for a while but he has been absolutely fine. Just keep an eye on him and I'm sure he'll be just fine!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Yes, I have had birds do this under the shower also...and when they went "swimming" in their tub...I have a couple of conures who think they are fish and aren't happy unless they are TOTALLY under water!:rofl: and flappying about...
I haven't had any effects from it...but like Bonnie says...watch him ...keep him warm....any start of just sitting on perch/fluffed for a length of time...call and talk to the vet and tell them what happened...birds will sit/fluff their feathers and rest but I'm talking for a LENGTH of time like this is not normal...:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
This has happend to Squeeky and he hates it when it does. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he isn't doing a lot of sneezing.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It has happened to Ruby also, more than once. :hug8:

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I thought I was drowning my poor baby. :( If he's going to get any type of infection it'll probably happen in the next few days, I'll watch him closely.

I feel better now, knowing they can survive this. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. :hug8:

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Twice I had my conure dive into an ice filled drink. I pulled her out immediately but was terrified that ice water up her beak and down her throat would sicken or kill her. Luckily, she was fine and I evaded a heart attack. I never drink near the stinker any more.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please relax, all the birds go into the shower with me here. Every now and then one will get water in their nose or throat. Doing so has never been a problem here. Like everyone has said keep an eye on her for the next couple of days.

gary

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks everyone, I thought for sure he was drowning, I feel better now. He seems fine so far. I think it scared me more than it did him, if it scared him all. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.