• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not sure how to measure f10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just received my order of f10sc and I'm not sure how much to add to a spray bottle for daily cleaning. How often should I use it to clean Java's cage and dishes? And do I have to move him to a different room, or open a window?
20180713_135556.jpg

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I have to use a syringe to measure out the proper amount. For me, it was roughly 3.7mL to a 946mL (32oz) spray bottle. If you have measuring spoons, a little over half of a teaspoon (5mL) will do.

For the record, the indicated ratio is 1:250, or 1/2oz per gallon

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
2ml to 32 oz will give you roughly the basic 1 to 500 ratio for general purpose cleaning.

For super disinfecting, the ratio is 1 to 250, 3.78 ml to 32 oz.

So anywhere in there is acceptable. I wouldn't do more than 4ml to 32 oz.

I use a medicine cup.

I only use it every other month or so.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do I have to open a window or take Java out the room?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome. What is a good bird cage cleaner? Vinegar and water doesn't get up poop in those hard to reach places, and tends to leave a white film.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I found it easier to completely wash out an old milk gallon bottle and make a gallon. Then you can fill a spray bottle whenever you want to.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Awesome. What is a good bird cage cleaner? Vinegar and water doesn't get up poop in those hard to reach places, and tends to leave a white film.
You can use F10 also. I've used a hand held scrubbing brush or an old toothbrush to get into those hard to reach places. Also consider spraying, leaving on for 5 min to soften up the crud and then use a toothbrush.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can use F10 also. I've used a hand held scrubbing brush or an old toothbrush to get into those hard to reach places. Also consider spraying, leaving on for 5 min to soften up the crud and then use a toothbrush.
It wouldn't be harmful to use it everyday? @Mizzely mentioned using it every other month so as to not over-sanitize

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use AviClean the most but I also use Nature's Miracle for Birds

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It wouldn't be harmful to use it everyday? @Mizzely mentioned using it every other month so as to not over-sanitize

I think it is definitely over kill to do it everyday; you could use it probably more often than I do without issues or with an immune compromised system, but I am a hippy about germs lol

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I've used the PoopOff spray for cleaning grates, but I haven't found it much more effective than using just plain vinegar+water. I've not used Nature's Miracle or AviClean. @Mizzely, how do you prefer NM and AviClean?

I typically scrape waste off the grates with a putty scraper, then spray down with cleaner. Leave for 5 minutes or so to let it soften the hard stuff, then wipe off with a paper towel. Harder stuff sometimes requires a scrub brush. I find the white film is usually left behind if you're using a sponge, scrubber, or brush. Paper towels seem to leave a cleaner surface. Then again, I always go over things with a wet paper towel or PoopOff wipes anyway.

Short of using unsafe products, I don't think there is a "right" way of cleaning. We all just find what works best for us.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used the PoopOff spray for cleaning grates, but I haven't found it much more effective than using just plain vinegar+water. I've not used Nature's Miracle or AviClean. @Mizzely, how do you prefer NM and AviClean?

I typically scrape waste off the grates with a putty scraper, then spray down with cleaner. Leave for 5 minutes or so to let it soften the hard stuff, then wipe off with a paper towel. Harder stuff sometimes requires a scrub brush. I find the white film is usually left behind if you're using a sponge, scrubber, or brush. Paper towels seem to leave a cleaner surface. Then again, I always go over things with a wet paper towel or PoopOff wipes anyway.

Short of using unsafe products, I don't think there is a "right" way of cleaning. We all just find what works best for us.
I'll try letting the solution sit for a while, and I've been using a microfiber cloth as well as paper towels, but I'm thinking of just using paper towels. I also just remembered that I have hard water where I live. So I've used bottled water to make a cleaning solution. I was going to buy a water softener but they start at $400+, so I'll just boil water on the stove and add it to my solution. Hopefully, that'll solve the film issue.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I use poopoff or aviclean and one of those "cage saver" scrubs. I rarely use f10 when it comes to my own adult birds, I mostly use it on breeding and hand-feeding equipment because chicks have very little tolerance for viruses and bacteria.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'll try letting the solution sit for a while, and I've been using a microfiber cloth as well as paper towels, but I'm thinking of just using paper towels. I also just remembered that I have hard water where I live. So I've used bottled water to make a cleaning solution. I was going to buy a water softener but they start at $400+, so I'll just boil water on the stove and add it to my solution. Hopefully, that'll solve the film issue.

Don't bother with a water softening system unless you need it for the whole house. Otherwise, just buy gallons of spring/distilled water from the store and use them.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't bother with a water softening system unless you need it for the whole house. Otherwise, just buy gallons of spring/distilled water from the store and use them.
Sounds like a great solution. When making a vinegar/water solution, are you supposed to use hot or cold water? I've been using cold water, but I just tried hot water, though I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@painesgrey I've never used the Poop Off spray, but I have used the wipes. I too use paper towels vs a sponge, etc for most of my cleaning.

Here are my disjointed thoughts LOL

I honestly prefer the Nature's Miracle if I am being honest. I started using it for the rats because they also have a sensitive respiratory system, and I have even followed behind with a pee light to check if it cleaned up the urine and it did.

AviClean, when I clean the laminate of poop, seems to leave a fog. Nature's Miracle does not, and cleans up the fog that AviClean leaves.

Both have very little smell to them.

I think Nature's Miracle works slightly faster.

AviClean says you don't have to remove the bird to clean, and in fact I accidentally gave Bobber a bath with it once (started labeling bottles better after that...) and Avitech said that there was no reason to be concerned.

Main reason I am still using AviClean is I won a contest and got a BUNCH of it. So just slowly going through my stash. Will prob switch to Nature's Miracle exclusively once it's gone.

Both work MUCH better than vinegar and water. I have never noticed a film on my cages with either (and the aluminum shows EVERY water spot)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like a great solution. When making a vinegar/water solution, are you supposed to use hot or cold water? I've been using cold water, but I just tried hot water, though I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

Technically hot water is more effective, but only if you are using it immediately. For mixing, it doesn't matter one way or another

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
@painesgrey I've never used the Poop Off spray, but I have used the wipes. I too use paper towels vs a sponge, etc for most of my cleaning.

Here are my disjointed thoughts LOL

I honestly prefer the Nature's Miracle if I am being honest. I started using it for the rats because they also have a sensitive respiratory system, and I have even followed behind with a pee light to check if it cleaned up the urine and it did.

AviClean, when I clean the laminate of poop, seems to leave a fog. Nature's Miracle does not, and cleans up the fog that AviClean leaves.

Both have very little smell to them.

I think Nature's Miracle works slightly faster.

AviClean says you don't have to remove the bird to clean, and in fact I accidentally gave Bobber a bath with it once (started labeling bottles better after that...) and Avitech said that there was no reason to be concerned.

Main reason I am still using AviClean is I won a contest and got a BUNCH of it. So just slowly going through my stash. Will prob switch to Nature's Miracle exclusively once it's gone.

Both work MUCH better than vinegar and water. I have never noticed a film on my cages with either (and the aluminum shows EVERY water spot)

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I'll try Nature's Miracle next. Bummer that they only make it in the 24oz size. :I

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I'll try Nature's Miracle next. Bummer that they only make it in the 24oz size. :I

Yes that's a issue here too! With the rats I go through a bottle a month I think :/

Status
Not open for further replies.