• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not so happy birds..

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I leave on my trip in about five days.
As per usual when I travel I put the birdies in their travel carriers overnight for a week... and then for the last four or five days they stay in their carriers exclusively.

Yes they get LOTS of out time, have their exercise tent (gotta get them reaquainted with that too) but otherwise they get stuck in their carriers for the next five days. They know when its about to happen too, Porter has been anxious for the last few days as he knows what SLEEPING in his carrier means.

And today he started squawking all angrily every time I moved a toy.

One toy - SQUAWK! Next toy... SCREECH. But only as I remove them one by one.

Maiboch just makes her upset kissy noises and stares out of her carrier side.

No they are NOT happy with me, but as usual they are settling down and in a couple of days without their ordinary cages they will come to associate their carriers with 'home' which is the goal.

If they have a home cage outside... and they manage to fly off...well they fly right back usually. This sorta training has taken years but if I follow the routine... its far safer for them in the long run. I just feel bad when Maiboch gives me the fluffed head 'WHYYYY' Look.

Porter just gives me the classic Stink Eye.

Anyone else have smart birds that KNOW when something they do not like is about to happen? xD

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiel Sunny always knew when we were getting ready to go away. And then once he realized that he was getting to go with us, he was super happy. He loved going on trips. I don't think Elvis has caught on yet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My tiels also enjoy trips and get very excited when they see their travel cages.

They also always check out my clothes. If I’m wearing my home clothes and say goodbye to them, they know I’m only going on a short errand. If I have nicer clothes on they squawk at me when I say goodbye. Sunset especially, she looks me over from head to toe. It’s like she’s critiquing my fashion sense!

Have a good trip! Where are you going?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella knows when I am going away because she watches me pack. I have a hotel cage for her, which is the size of a cage that a tiel could live in normally but it is smaller and lighter than her main cage. She also has a carrier. When she sees the hotel cage in the car, she gets excited because that means that she is going with me. But I am usually not staying in a hotel so Bella is out of her cage more than she is in it. Here is a bad picture of her hotel cage.

IMG_1081.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw, but I think they Will be delighted when they finally arrive in their new home! Lots of places to explore:D

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Still a new room. :) Very exciting