• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not sitting

Mixedmatchsox

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello first time having baby cockatiels. We have a box and she has laid 6 eggs so far. She laid her 6th one yesterday and ever since has refused to go back in the box! Nothing has changed and I have not touched any of them. I worry since it has been 24 hours or longer since she was in there. My male doesn't seem to be interested in sitting on them either he hasn't even investigated the nexting box at all. Is this normal?

Serin

Sprinting down the street
No. Your birds sound inexperienced, disinterested or that their hormone levels are not where they should be.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are your tiels young? They may be too young yet to be parents.

Mixedmatchsox

I have owned them for 2 years and was told when I got them that they were at least 2 at that time. So they are probably 4 or older. This is the first time she has laid since we have had them .I believe it may be her first time the people that had them before didn't have a box or never mentioned them laying .I didn't think they would breed. Anything I can do to help them sit on the eggs. I hate for her to have gone through all that work to just abandon them.

Serin

It's up to them. They may take interest but it sounds like they're not to into it. Usually the male should be helping just as much to sit by now.

Mixedmatchsox

So just throw the eggs? Is it too late to try and incabate them? It's been over 24 hours since she sat in them.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
You could try to incubate them yourself, but there may have been a reason that they're not sitting on them, and baby birds are a huge responsibility. You'd have to go to a vet to find out how to feed them and wake up constantly to give them food very, very often, from what I've read.

They could be sick or infertile or warm enough already, or your pair might not really be a bonded pair.

Serin

The eggs can be hatched in a commercial incubator if the male mounted the female and fertilized them. The chicks then must be hand-reared, which is very time-intensive but not impossible. It is a large commitment.

I wouldn't remove the eggs yet. Leave them for a week or so, she may set eventually.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Eggs are viable for a period of time, maybe 5 days after laying. They don’t start sitting until all are laid. It sounds like you’re checking on them often, perhaps back off a bit and give them privacy.

If you pull the eggs now, she might lay more to replace them.this isn’t healthy for your hen and can lead to chronic egg laying. So leave the eggs until you’re sure they have No interest in them, then remove the nest box.