• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Not really an emergency, but need to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If a cat has scratched a bird what signs would the bird show if any?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If there is any possiblilty that your cat has scratched your bird he needs to be on the antibiotic Clavamox.

Ginger

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
And what if you don't know if the cat did or didn't? that's why I wanted to know if there is any signs.

Thank you for answering though.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
The bird might go into shock if it was a severe attack.

Otherwise the typical signs of illness would follow. Fluffing up, lethargic, sitting at bottom of cage, not eating, etc. At least this is what we see at the Wildlife Hospital when we get birds in that were attacked by dogs or cats.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree with Ginger.... If there was any possibility, I would rather go prophylactic than to wait for signs and then treat.........cat scratches/bites can be really bad for birdies

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There may not be any signs. Then suddenly with in an hour or two the bird will just drop dead. So yes if there is just a possibility the bird has been scratched it's best to be proactive in getting treatment.

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
There may not be any signs. Then suddenly with in an hour or two the bird will just drop dead. So yes if there is just a possibility the bird has been scratched it's best to be proactive in getting treatment.

I have seen this happen in wild birds we had treated when I was working with the DNR. They wouldn't have a mark on them (or we couldn't find a mark on them)....then would just drop dead within hours. Caution is better in this case. Good luck to you and your birdie.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I have seen this happen in wild birds we had treated when I was working with the DNR. They wouldn't have a mark on them (or we couldn't find a mark on them)....then would just drop dead within hours. Caution is better in this case. Good luck to you and your birdie.
Scary! I'm glad there are no cats here at my dad's! My old budgie Sunshine got scratched by one of my mom's cats once. He was given antibiotics by the vet and was completely fine. Never showed any signs of illness, just a little tired because he was actually chased and caught by a cat. Poor baby. Luckilly I got him away before he was eaten.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Better to be safe then sorry in my book. Like it was said they can show no signs but if you even have to ask then a vet visit is in order.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Cat scratches and bites are deadly to birds, as is a dog bite.

I agree with everyone else if you even suspect it go to the vet quick.

I believe that dog and cat slobber transmits pasturella so it isn't good to even let them lick your birds.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
If there are any chances I would go ahead and take preventative measures. Cat scratches can be deadly to birds and you don't want to take a chance and then it be too late. Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe if you gave us a better idea of what happened we could be of more help.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I couldn't have taken her to an Avian Vet it was too late and there's none opened at that time. (7pm)

She's fine though.. it was one of my new Green Cheeks. I had them outside on my back veranda and my brother left the door open and my kitten got out, my mum heard the Green Cheeks flying around and went to check and the kitten was sitting in front of their cage so I brought them inside, they were a bit scared but okay now. I was mainly worried about the female because she was clinging to the side of the cage, the same side where the kitten was sitting. The cage bars are hard for the kitten to get her paws through without getting them stuck but she was just sitting there, so I don't know if she attempted to, or if the birds were flying around because the kitten scared them or what.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad she is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.