• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

not exactly graceful

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Is it just me, or are linnies kind of klutzy? Its funny....I expected more grace from birds lol!

animallover9

Walking the driveway
I am not very sure about linnies but I know my birds especially my tiels are far from graceful. Even with being fully flighted they miss things when they go to land or crash into my head. They also trip when they are walking sometimes especially Phoenix when she gets worked up she doesn't focus on walking like she should be haha

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
Companion birds are not in their natural habitat so it seems like they're clumsy.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
They are kind of heavy bodied for their wingspan so it makes sense that they lose some maneuverability. I've never had one but I have heard them described as "flying potatoes" before. So your experience sounds pretty normal. :laugh:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I am not very sure about linnies but I know my birds especially my tiels are far from graceful. Even with being fully flighted they miss things when they go to land or crash into my head. They also trip when they are walking sometimes especially Phoenix when she gets worked up she doesn't focus on walking like she should be haha
My husband (tall) has wondered out loud if the tiels need glasses because they'll sometimes fly straight into him. He says it's like being at the supermarket and being rammed by somebody's cart and being told: "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see you" (to the 6'9" 200+ # guy).

KBEquine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My Linnies are reasonably agile, but I think they've been flighted their whole life & had a reasonable amount of out-of-cage time, and it makes a difference - the desire to fly is instinct, the actual PRACTICE is learned behavior. For example, some parrots who escape & land high in a tree might WANT to fly down to their human, but can't figure out how - flying in a straight line is a different exercise than flying up or down. [The lesson: If your parrot is flighted, give it the opportunity to fly up high and come back down - if it ever escapes, it'll be a good skill for it to have, when they are ready to come back home.]

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
So I am curious, if my two have never really been flighted, will they ever learn to fly? I mean, if i let their flight feathers grow and give them the opportunity.