• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Not emergency.........but urgent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
My friend is going to bring a baby bird that she found in her backyard to my house. It fell out of its nest twice and she said she can't find the mother bird. I saw a pic and it is not a parrot. I'm going to keep it warm, feed it some Kaytee formula, and pray that he lives. I need all the prayers you guys can manage and tips. Sorry for sounding so pushy but as if right now, I'm worried to death about the lil birdie. Will update in a few.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Raymond,
I would make a call to your local wildlife shelter/branch/refuge. They have the facilities and experience to deal with situations like these long term, and in some places it is actually illegal for unlicensed persons to "help" any wild birds by keeping them in their care.

For overnight/temporary care, I'd do exactly what you planned. Keep it warm, handfeed (hey, that's great that you have it) and hope for the best until professionals can take over. :hug8: Good luck!

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Also be very careful about keeping the baby seperate from your birds...some wild birds carry disease. I wish you and the baby the best! :hug8:

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Just emailed the Pasadena Humane Society. (10 minutes from where I live) Thanks for the tip Stephanie I will! My friend brought a heating pad so he is warm. I also managed to make him eat some Kaytee Formula (not the best I know, its what I have on hand) and I'm praying for him to make it through the night. Here is a pic of the lil guy:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
The best thing to do is to put the baby back in the nest. Mom will come back to feed it. That is the very best chance of survival this baby has. It doesn't matter that you have touched the baby. That's an old wive's tale.

Can you get the baby back to the nest now? Is that possible?

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Unfortunately not Kathie. :( My friend Sarah's mom wasn't too happy when she gave me the baby bird. She just grumbles something that I didn't hear. I think I'll go boil an egg for him later.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Raymond, I would try to get the bird back in the nest tomorrow morning first thing. It really is likely the only chance for survival.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Update:
-Just called the Humane Society and they will call my dad and pick the baby bird up on Monday. Hope the lil guy pulls through..........

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Do not force it to eat Kaytee formula. They eat bugs. The best thing to make him is a gruel of mealworms and egg yolks. Do you have a nature center there? Or does the humane society treat wild life too?

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
best of luck !!!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Isnt there a wildlife rehab facility where you live? Not sure the humane society is going to do any better. :( Wild animals dont usually abandon their young, I am sure the Mother was around somewhere.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Look up correct consistency of formula. I'm not sure of the species as I'm not sure where you live. I'll guess grakkel OT black bird type. But I have no idea. But I'd use an eye dropper to give it the formula until Monday. And of its never been handed by a human, force feeding typically the only way to feed it. Feed it slow, and touch the tip of the beak a lot. Often they will do a feeding response. I wouldn't feed it bugs as you would need to smash up the bugs when the baby is that young. I would never give yoke to a chick, but that's just me. Too high in fat and would slow the crop I assume. Stick with the formula, good source of nutrients and water st this age. And its only temporary.

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Awe,awesome you guys tried to rescue this little one.Glad they will come get it on monday :) You need to try to identify what kind of species this baby is before you feed it as it may have different feeding requirements.
If you can get a better picture of the face and mouth... Chances are it is a starling..most songbirds require a protein mixture and hand feeding formula would not be good. Mushed cat or dog food and finely mashed boiled egg will do for now and get a coffee stirrer and try to feed it, if the baby is hungry it should gape it may take him a little while to recognize it as food. Do not try to give the baby water as they can aspirate easily and die. They usually get their moisture from their food. I can't really judge by your pic how old the babe is but they need to be fed quite often, when they are very little they are fed practically every 15 mins!
Good Luck!!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Over the years I have found you will not beat mother nature. If the baby bird has fallen out of its nest more than once there may be a good reason in the nature of things that it happened. There could be something very wrong for the poor little thing that it is not going to survive? Very often the parent bird will know this fact before we do and help it along.
I have looked after birds with young and the ones with something seriously wrong are not fed on purpose and completely ignored. Nature seems cruel but it is cruel to be kind. Wish you all the luck in looking after the little one, but remember if the worse comes to the worse, you cannot beat nature.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little guy,I hope he makes it.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Update time!

An officer called my dad (at 6 in the morning -_-;) and he came to pick the baby up at 7. The officer said that its spring and there are a lot of baby wild birds and he told me not to worry because he will have birdy friends and there will be people to feed him. I'm so surprised that he made it throughout the night. (1-6am) without a feeding. I ran downstairs and fed him some eggyolk and formula and managed to find 2 crickets and 1 worm from the garden and mashed it up (it was so gross)! The End! :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
good job Raymond! the best thing you can do is call the wildlife rehab center and arrange a pickup - they have a network of folks experienced in caring for babies such as this - keeping them warm and hydrated until pickup is so important

Thank you for helping this little one :hug2:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to hear good news, Raymond.

Status
Not open for further replies.