• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not eating in the cage

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
My parrotlet is not eating during the day when we are gone.
In the morning and evening she is out with us and eats a lot. In the cage she only eats a little bit when we are in the room.
When we are gone during the day she doesn't eat from 8am till 6pm. She isn:t loosing weight yet because she eats huge portions when out the cage.but what if we are gone from morning till past her bedtime? Not wat we want,but it could happen.....i also think that it is not healthy for a small bird with a fast metabolism to not eat anything for 10 hours and then again for another 10 hours.

How can i make her more enthousiastic about eating in the cage?
Have tried different dry foods and brands, seeds,pellets,nutriberries....different bowls and places for the bowl..... And fresh foods and sprouted seeds that only are there to spoil during the day. I don't offer fresh foods in the cage anymore.

Any good and easy to make foraging ideas for a small bird and small pellets or nutriberries?
I do have some foraging toys but i would like to offer more food this way,hoping to make her more curious about what is in it,and get her to eat more that way.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I know my Chirp won't eat if it's too quiet or if I'm laying in bed. Maybe try leaving the tv or a radio on?

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
We have the radio on for her all day.doesn't matter...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can take a look through my foraging page for some ideas! Finger traps or paper make easy foraging toys.

Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

Are you absolutely certain that she isn't eating during the day? Even with eating a large meal when you get home I would expect some weight loss if she isn't eating a combined 20 hours a day.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Are you sure your sprouts Will spoil? My sprouts never spoil during the day, they even continue to grow. Is she does eat those, perhaps you could try setting up a dish of sprouts in the kitchen and leaving it there while you leave so you can see what has happened when you get back.

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I don't know if sprouts will spoil during the day.maybe not because it is living food.... but she doesn't eat anything during the day.also no sprouts...