• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Normal for a bird to fall off it's perch?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Way back my dove began falling off of his perches from time to time when simply sitting, and badly damaging his feathers on the way down. Since I've lowered his perches and set up a cushioned cage bottom for him to safely fall, and it seems to have stopped. I was wondering if this is normal for some bird species, or whether I could have done something wrong with his perches?
I plan to keep him on the lower perches until his flights and now damaged tail feathers grow back.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try a flat perch or Manzanita branches which have varied texture and width. My doves all sleep in towel nests on the bottom of the cages. Maybe he would like that.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My cockatiel was clumsy when he was still very young and his tail feathers looked always messed up at this time. Now he would never fall from a perch any more and makes sure his tail feathers never touch anything, lol. I have only seen is when they get startled but they normally don't fall to the ground, they fly but I guess they can't do that in the cage.

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Try a flat perch or Manzanita branches which have varied texture and width. My doves all sleep in towel nests on the bottom of the cages. Maybe he would like that.
I have a flat perch that he doesn't love, but I'll look into a Manzanita. What is a towel nest and how would get one? Literally a nest from a towel?

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Does he fall from a perch only while sleeping?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a flat perch that he doesn't love, but I'll look into a Manzanita. What is a towel nest and how would get one? Literally a nest from a towel?
Yes! Roll a kitchen towel, then shape it like a donut, place a washcloth over the top, puff the washcloth down inside ,,,walaa!